Peace lily help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by moniq68, May 9, 2006.

1. moniq68

moniq68 Member

I had a peace lily for about 9 months...I gave it to a friend to care for it over the winter holiday, and when she gave it back, the leaves were wilted and brown. It died shortly thereafter.

I purchased a new plan approximately 2 months ago, and it was doing really well, with three new spaethes. Then, my roommate decided she wanted to blast her air conditioner (we have individual thermostats). The plant has recently been very wilted. Two of the spaethes dried up and died. Some of the inner leaves have turned yellow. I have pruned the dead leaves, but the plant will not perk up. I tried using less water (I give it about 1 cup every 3 days, plus a daily misting). Then I stuck it in a sink to give it more water.

Both tactics had been suggested, but neither has helped. Is there any way to rescue my plant? :(

Info on the plant environment: it's in a terra cotta pot. I checked to see if it was rootbound, but it is not. The thermostat says it is 70 degrees Farenheight, but it feels closer to 65. There is cool air blowing most of the day, but I have moved the plant away from vents. The blinds are cracked open, so it's about medium light facing south.

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Too much heat can be a problem and cause them to droop, not so much a lack of water. Late in the day sun might be part of the problem. Lots of light is good, but not lots of heat. Try giving in more, bright, indirect light. For water, water in completely and then let it dry quite a bit before watering it again. I'm guessing that heat and or too much water is the problem. If you've only had it for 2 months then you couldn't have waited long enough to see if water schemes were having effect.

Keep us posted,
    Michael

3. moniq68

moniq68 Member

It's definitely not too hot. I'm freezing cold in here!

When I put it in my neighbor's apartment (about 10 degrees warmer) it seemed to do better.

Also, the very tips of the leaves are a little bit brown...does that mean not enough water or too much?

I'm really lost about the whole thing...

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Then I guess it's too much water. These are pretty easy plants, so you are far more likely to love it to death than for it to die from neglect.