my palm tree is losing leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by o0_j4mie_0o, Jul 29, 2006.

1. o0_j4mie_0o

o0_j4mie_0o Member

i have a palm tree that ive raised from a seed, it is a bout 5 years old andhas never had trouble in the past, but it recently started losing leaves, and i cant figure out why. its gotten so it have a few good sixed bald spots. i havent changed anything on how ive watered and fed it in the entire time, any ideas as to what might be causeing it, and if i should worry??
    thanks
    jamie

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

What type of palm do you have?

3. o0_j4mie_0o

o0_j4mie_0o Member

im not very sure of the specific type if itll help i can post a picture when my fiance gets back with my camera

4. o0_j4mie_0o

o0_j4mie_0o Member

heres the pictures of my tree i said id put up, i tried to get in to the balding area as well as i could as well

Attached Files:

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You don't have a "palm", you have Dracaena marginata. These lose leaves periodicly as new growth comes on. Nothing to worry about here.

Cheers, LPN.

6. o0_j4mie_0o

o0_j4mie_0o Member

thank you ! the seeds were given to me by a friend in florida, and they just said it was a pal, so thats great to know a bit more about it :D and am definately happy to hear it is supposed to do that
    thank you soo much

7. mirky

mirky Member

Pardon me as the "amateur gardener" (ie, 2 houseplants)... I believe I have the same type of plant and have had it in healthy condition in the same living environment for the last 6 years. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed one morning that a few of its leaves had dropped, which of course is as per norm. But, this trend has continued almost every day and the trunk/ branches seem to be soft. Is this plant "sick"? If so, can it be stopped so that it does not die? Is it too late??

thanks for your help!