Looking for a small tree or tree like shrub

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by preslim, Jul 26, 2014.

1. preslim

preslim New Member

Hi, I'm pretty clueless about this type of stuff so I'm looking for some help.

I'm looking for a small tree or shrub that looks like a tree, as in, it has a visible trunk and does not exceed 3 or 4 feet. I currently have two inverted green maples that I love and am looking for something similar but hoping to diversify.

If there's nothing out there, maybe suggest a nice low maintenance evergreen that could act as a focal point.

Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Top-grafted shrubs like cotoneasters, currants, junipers, roses... tour some local independent outdoor plant outlets to see what they have. The shrub is grafted onto a straight stem of another plant to produce a patio tree, with a smaller top than most true trees would have.

3. preslim

preslim New Member

Cool, a top-grafted juniper would be awesome. Are these common to get? I'll ask my local nursery, they've told me to bring in a name of something I want and they'll help me find it.

They also suggested a Hakuro Nashiri, which I really like as well, but some seem to be a bit too tall, while others are just perfect. Is there a way I can ensure the height before I purchase one? Does it have to do with pruning, or just luck?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Something to keep in mind is that most trees, shrubs, and vegetables grow significantly taller here than in eastern North America. Descriptions written for eastern customers seem to invariably underestimate heights achieved in our moist, mild climate.