Identification: Any idea of what these are?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Nocturne, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne Member

Any idea of what these are?

They remind me of nudibranch (seaslug) eggs we see diving. But a web search did not suggest that they were from terrestrial slugs. They were found on the side of a vertical tree. They felt hard to the touch.

Any leads appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Eric

DSC_0207-1.JPG

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have no idea what these are, but they are certainly interesting!

Thinkings: Are they hollow? If it was the exostructure of some critter, then you'd think it would make sense to be under the bark rather than atop it. Hard and affixed to the bark seems to rule out something discarded by a critter, not frass, and why would one bother to affix a discarded part. I'm used to thinking of hard fungal exposed structures as usually being black or dark in colour, re the protective nature of the dark pigments. Forms zigzags, cumulates in piles, apparently with no relevance to the pull of gravity of being on the side of a vertical trunk...

Fsshh ... I'm not getting anywhere :-). I hope others have ideas?

-frog

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My first thought was uh, fecal material. But on the side of the tree..? What spp. of tree-climbing mammals are there in Washington? Is this the remains of the prey of an owl or raptor? Crow? Did giant earthworms crawl up the tree, affixing themselves thereto, to breathe their last?

Depending upon the strength of your curiosity and of your stomach (urg!) you might detach a piece of this mysterious substance, break it up, and examine it with magnification.