Identification: Coral fungus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by hudakore, Sep 10, 2009.

1. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Is this a Coral fungus (not a mushroom, right?) If it is, what kind please? They're apparently all the same kind and are growing under or attached to a white pine.

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

It's a coral fungus all right. I'd suggest clavicorona pyxidata for at least the one on the far left - notice the crown tips on them? Of coruse, corals are a huge family of fungi and this is just a suggestion.

3. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Thank you.

Dumb question: I thought mushrooms were/are fungi but apparently this is not a mushroom. Now I'm thinking that mushroom, fungi and lichens are are different from one another. I know lichens are in a class by themselves but what about fungi and mushrooms?

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The mushroom is the fruit of the fungi, as the apple is the fruit of the tree.
    Lichens are lichenized fungi. Fungi are considered the dominant partner in a fungi/algae relationship.
    There is a similar marine relationship where the alga is considered the dominant partner - mycophycobiosis.

5. hudakore

hudakore Active Member

Thank you so much. I've spent the summer studying insects for a photo book but now that winter is coming and there are many fewer insects to photo, I'm restarting my mycology collection. . . a whole new learning experience! The micro and macro worlds are exciting and awesome.

6. lichenophile

lichenophile Member

Re. Lichen: Trevor Goward, a leading BC lichenologist wrote lichen keys for BC Forestries. Years ago he coined the term 'fungal farming' to describe lichens. Now he looks at lichens as 'emergent systems' rather than seeing them as a 'duo' of lichenized fungi and algae. You can google "Ways of Enlichenment" to read his essays and views on this subject. When attending an international lichen symposium in Marin a couple of years ago many lichenologists are similarly noting the complexity of just what is defined as a "lichen. These organisms can be better viewed as more of a 'terrarium' than a "duo." Lichens often can have both a predominant fungus as well as a different 'ecto' outer surface fugus and 'endo' inner surface fungus as well as 'endo' and ecto' bacteria... and those that are in shaded areas additionally can have cyanobacteria within their structures and fix nitrogen in the soil.