weird spring perennial in my garden!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by osc3, May 31, 2007.

1. osc3

osc3 Member

Writing from upstate New York. As the house next to mine was demolished, I salvaged this plant from the yard. Thought it was a narcissus originally (by leaves only) but got quite a surprise when it bloomed. This is it's second spring in my garden; it doesn't seem to be spreading rapidly, but it's not dying, either. I'm certainly no horticulturist, but I've never seen another like it. I'd love to know what it is... thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  3. osc3

osc3 Member

Just spent a half-hour looking "nectaroscordium" up on-line. (one site I ended up was your "plants in garden"!) Thank you for identifying it for me. It does seem that it's more common in Europe than the U.S. Understand I should treat it like other Alliums... Can't find how to propagate it. Gather seeds? Have you done that? If it's a little unusual for this area, I'd like to make sure I know how to keep it around!
    Thanks again,
    H

4. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

hello osc3

if you search for Allium bulgaricum (the old name!) yopu may have more luck. Here In vancouver it is a not so common bulb in the bulb selections at many garden centres and usually arrives when the tulips and daffodils are available. It is readily available

5. osc3

osc3 Member

I'll try using that name, thank you!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I've had this in the garden for years and it self-propagates quite readily. It seems to self seed, and I'm pretty sure it also grows bulblets off the mother bulb. So just don't dead-head it, and you will have little linear-leaved seedlings around in no time. You'll know when you're pulling them up by the characteristic smell of the foliage when you crush it.

8. Vbort44

Vbort44 Active Member

How fortunate of you, it's quite pretty!