HELP! What's killing my plant?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jdelbove, Mar 24, 2008.

1. jdelbove

jdelbove Member

Hello....

I am in such a quandry over this very perplexing situation that I don't know what to do anymore. Coming up my walk in the front of my house, I have a section of plantings with lime-stone cover. Every plant that I have planted in this certain spot either does not do well or dies. All the other plants are thriving. I always plant them in fresh Miracle Grow potting soil which is supposed to feed them for 4 months, they get sufficient water from the sprinkler in the flower beds but nevertheless, nothing does well there. The very first rose plant, to the left of the solar light, is the one in question. Can you help me?

Thanks.......JoAnne

Attached Files:

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Just a guess but could the lime stone be causing the problem? I know that I use crushed limestone for sweetening the soil and maybe some of you plants are being bothered by lime leeching out of the stone.

Lime stone (I believe) is a calcium compound and again, perhaps you are leeching calcium into the soil in concentrations that are bothering less tolerant plants.

. . . . just my thoughts . . .

Anne

3. jdelbove

jdelbove Member

Hello Anne and thanks so much for your response.

I thought of that too but everything else in the same flower bed is thriving. If you maximize the picture, you can see that the other rose bushes that I bought at the same time and were the same size, are doing great and blooming like crazy. It's just that one spot that seems to be a death sentence for anything I plant there. it's very strange and extremely frustrating.

Regards....JoAnne

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Have you got a plastic cover under the rock mulch? If not, don't shoot me for asking, but honestly a friend recently asked me what she could do to save a weeping birch in her mom's garden, and when I looked closer there was a plastic layer under the mulch and no water getting directly to the tree at all.

My other thought is that amending the soil is sometimes counterproductive - the plant doesn't grow outside its little amended pocket. And if the amended soil is peat based (I'm not familiar with MG) it will dry out quicker than average garden soil.