SEEDLING from seeds do they need sun or shade or ?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by vicarious1, Apr 25, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello I have planted here in Vancouver seeds for Lettuce , Kale, Flowers, grasses, plans etc... I know they must stay moist BUT do they need SUN or SHADE ? Can they stay out in the rain or must they be covered? Thank you for any advise.

Attached Files:

2. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

I started some seeds a couple of weeks ago. They're sprouting now. I think seeds need dark to germinate and the thin layer of soil that covers the seeds should take care of that. So, I positioned my planters in the places where I wanted the plants to grow, and that means in sunny areas for my particular plants. Also, I think the sun helps warm up the soil which is good for the germinating stage. That's just my two bits.

3. theredben

theredben Active Member

To answer your seedling questions. They need to stay MOIST, not wet, not dry. You should keep them out of the rain to give you more control over the media moisture. This time of the year the sun is good, you want strong seedlings, not lanky stretched ones.

Just wondering why you are not direct seeding these into their final location?

4. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    I dont put in the ground yet a we still have 61 Kale plants taking up the space.
    Thank you..