Odd leaf size

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by aesir22, Oct 17, 2008.

1. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just a query about the size of my citrus leaves. I understand that sometimes citrus leaves do grow bigger, but it seems to be on the majority of my citrus, new growth is enormous. I know its common for some leaves to be bigger than others, but it is a trend with all of them. Could it perhaps have something to do with fertilizer/sun?

Thanks in advance!

2. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

I have read (and it seems to be true on some ill trees i have had), that if the tree is ill, then recovers when the growth restarts the leaves are larger, the reason was given that the branch was a new branch starting and leaves at the bottom of a tree are larger than the top, so the start of growth is big

It seems to be true, when i have had a tree stressed and not doing well, when it recovers the next lot of growth starts a branch with very very large leaves,

a lemon tree i have from ebay has just grown a 6 inch long by 3.5 inch wide leaf, the branch it grew , the leaves are back to std size within 6 or so leaves up the branch, i stressed it till it started flowering, it flowered all over and then grew strange branches with large leaves

another lemon tree i bought with root rot, had rounded leaves and looked all neat and tidy apart from mouldy roots and pot, when it recovered the top half grew wildly , to tice the size, but the top has more pointy leaves, much larger and all wavey up and down from end to end, tree is now quite happy though, but at the point it nearly died they changed size and shape

seems to be a thing they do when they have been ill

3. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Yeah that sounds like it could be it, the big leaves are the ones on stems where loads of leaves dropped from stress when I first bought them. Cheers Starloc :)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I posed a similar query in this thread (in an external forum).

5. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

So what was the verdict? If it isn't chemical, what makes the leaves strange sizes? I hope they don't all turn out so big lol

6. Junglekeeper

There was no definitive answer. It was suggested it might be due to frequent pinching of new growth.

7. Junglekeeper

I should clarify. 'It' refers to the smaller sized leaves and stems in my query and not the larger ones in yours.

8. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Thanks Junglekeeper. I will see how they all go. They are all happy and healthy, just with some big leaves lol.