how to grow a mango plant from seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by dogseadepression, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Gold3nKu5h

Gold3nKu5h Member

Can you not see the pics above?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Vis - what does the Diplomatico look like as a fruit? It may be one of the varieties we grow down here, in which case it was renamed for the Latinoamericano market.

3. visarlene

visarlene Member

4. lorax

We grow those but call them Chupitos.

5. visarlene

visarlene Member

As a follow-up to my July 22nd Message #18 above, here are two views of my mango at 8 weeks. The main stem is now 18 inches high. I'm going to wait until it's at least 2 to 2-1/2 feet high and for the end of hurricane season before I plant it.

The second mango I tried to grow didn't make it. The main stem broke near the base and the seed never resprouted.

Attached Files:

6. visarlene

visarlene Member

Lorax - Do you know how tall this variety of mango grows? It's time to move it from the pot into the ground and I want to make sure it goes into a good spot.

7. lorax

Chupitos? I've seen them up to about 30 feet.

8. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hello Everyone!

Ohhhh I love this kind of thing - now I want to go plant a mango seed just for fun! I once planted an avocado pit and it grew into a lovely plant that I had for quite awhile. Of course I know I would never see fruit on my mango tree, but it would just be interesting to see how long it could look nice as a house plant. I love experiments. Thanks for the peeks, the tips, and the great read everyone!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

I planted a mango seed (what I thought was the seed lol) about a year ago and nothing came of it. Wasn't until I read through some of You're posts that I discovered the seed was INSIDE that white husk at the center of the fruit. At any rate I'm trying again. And I'm a bit more optimistic this time around.
    Realistically though - These are BIG trees (as mentioned here and elsewhere) which means they LOVE sunlight. I envy you southern floridians. Light and water quality are probably the two most important aspects of culture affecting growth of 'captive' plants. South Florida has both in spades. I'm going to see if I can get by on 5-6 hours of direct morning sun in summer, a lot less than that in winter and aged tap-water. Oi! If I get far enough along to start worrying about it I'm going to attempt to curb the size issue by root-trimming since it seems to work in bonsai. Not to the size extreme that most bonsai artists take it but I'm not looking to have a tree in anything larger than a 30inch pot.
    We'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone who posted before me for the insights.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

I think it will work out just great in your 30 inch pot! Good luck with it. I think you will have success with germination this time as well. So excited for you!

Please let us know how it goes - pictures are always cool too. Use a mist bottle, which is the secret of my success when it comes to germinating seeds - along with my heat mat.

Now, you've got me wanting to rush to the grocery store to buy a mango, so I can get in on the fun too!

: O

11. oberfeldwebel

Hehe, Thanks - Right now I've got it in an 8inch pot, just for starters. I'll work up to thirty or perhaps smaller if I can get away with it. I've also got in mind I may have to lift the thing if I ever move. I'm germinating it outside since the weather's into the lower 90s here. I've got a bamboo skewer about an inch from the edge of the pot that I use to check moisture level. I'm just concentrating on keeping it evenly moist. esp in this heat... Though I'm not really worried about the heat... my concern is whether it'll tolerate less than ideal conditions this winter when I have to move it indoors. Ours winters here in Dallas aren't TOO bad but we still get freezes.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, I bet it will need lots of light over the winter to sustain it. I have a metal halide light system for over the colder, darker months.

: )

13. mangoguy

mangoguy Member

I live in Miami Florida and this Mango and Avocado country mostly because of the climate.
    I have both trees in my back yard over 50 years old my mango tree is over 80 feet tall and produces over 1000 mango's every time. I have been pretty successful producing plants from seeds.
    All I did was waited a couple of days after i extracted the seed from the fruit and placed it in a small pot with good potting soil that has a strong mixer of manure. Great smell. I cover the seed but just beneath the surface of the soil. I place the pots in a dark hot humid area and just wait. Water the pot thoroughly every day or other day depending on how hot it is or how quickly the soil dries up. It usually take about 3 weeks before you see any sprout breaking through the dirt. Attached you should see my tree. Some of the smaller pots under the avocado tree and once they grow about 6 to 8 inches I place them in a controlled area with full sunlight and water everyday twice a day.

Attached Files:

14. The Hollyberry Lady

I am absolutely amazed MangoGuy!!! That tree is stunning! I've never seen a mango tree, and that thing is gorgeous! Did you grow that yourself from seed, 50 years ago?!!! Omg, you are awesome! I'll say you're the Mango Guy - wow!

Thank you so much for sharing your terrific peeks with us. Now you are really getting me excited about this mango tree stuff. I just love the whole starting from scratch aspect too. It's why I grow everything from seed, and always will. It makes you feel so proud that you totally grew it yourself.

I bet the mangoes from that tree are delicious! Mangoes are my most favorite fruit. A tree like that would die in our winters, so I guess my only hope would be to keep it in a container so I can shelter it inside in Winter. Thanks for all the pics and the info. Truly fabulous.

15. oberfeldwebel

I'm jealous...you can (and probably do) grow orchids outside too....

16. oberfeldwebel

Yeah.... the Scottish in me just has too hard a time parting with $150 or so for a light fixture and then $50 at least per replacement bulb, not to mention the amount electricity those things use and the heat output is amazing....

17. The Hollyberry Lady

I wish!

I spent nearly 500 bucks on my halide system, and the bulb costs 85 bucks to replace every 8 months! No regrets though, and I'd do it all again. Just depends on what someone values, I guess. Some people think nothing about putting out this kind of money on cigarettes and beer each month, so it really just depends on what a person wants.

Also, fluorescent fixtures and bulbs are way less money - around 50 bucks for the fixture and 10 to replace the bulbs. The plants they produce are well worth the expense. The electricity is minimal for my usage of my lamps. It only adds 10 bucks to my light bill, which is more than reasonable, when I consider that I can grow strawberries, peppers, and tomatoes, in the dead of Winter!

18. oberfeldwebel

Very true! Concerning "I wish!" Check out Ebay...might be able to get replacement bulbs alittle cheaper.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

I will only use the 400 W SunMaster warm deluxe bulb for my metal halide HID system, because it's totally awesome!

It is a full spectrum bulb with rich blue, green, red, and orange light, and it supports germination, vegetative growth, and flowering! This one bulb does it all, rather than having to alternate between three different bulbs - which to me is ridiculous!

European people use the 400 W bulb almost exclusively, as opposed to the 1000 W, which can waste a lot of light. Two 400 W bulbs, are said to be more efficient than one 1000 W bulb, in fact.

I cannot tell you how worth it my lamps are, and if you are a horticultural fanatic like me, they are well worth the investment. Saving up for one is an option too. I wouldn't recommend buying used fixtures, although some people may disagree. I want to know that my fixture is safe, and with a warranty.

Happy Growing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  20. mangoguy

mangoguy Member

Hollyberry lady. I hate to disappoint you but I bought my house with the tree already on the property. But the previous owners really never went outside to take care of it.
    I'm 46 years old and the tree was planted when the house was built in 1957. the trunk is approx 8 feet or more in diameter. I do need to trim it down but I just can bear to cut it.
    By the way I do have orchids but I don't produce them I purchase them and keep them going.
    Keep in mind guys I'm in Miami, Florida and both mango and avocados are tropical plants so you have to create a hot humid environment to be successful. Plus these trees need depth so there roots can grow. So the bigger and deeper the pot or ground the better.
    A Mango seed once it's a tree will bear fruit after 3 to 5 years depending on its growth. I show some more of my tree's. I have rosemary, banana, aloe and avocado.
    Check it out. The last picture is the mango tree in bloom. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

21. The Hollyberry Lady

I don't think I'll have to work too hard at creating a hot muggy environment - this province is more humid than hell in the summers and even Spring and Fall.

Inside I have a running water fountain, that keeps the air moist. I am so excited to try this. Off to the store I go this weekend to get me a few mangoes, so I can gobble them up, then save the pit! Yippeeeee!

Your pictures are just beautiful, MangoGuy! Thanks so much for sharing. Those white orchids are simply gorgeous. I am growing a banana plant from seed right now - musa velutina (Dasycarpa). Sometimes referred to as 'baby pink banana'. How thrilling.

Thanks for all the information, and peeks.

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Mangoguy, did you say 1000s of Mangos?!?! Do you sell the ones you can't eat, or let them rot in your yard?

23. oberfeldwebel

Yup! I'm Jealous.... We've got hot and sorta humid up here but nothing like Miami. And yeah, starting orchids is complicated, involves flasks, agar,(though I'm sure you know you can divide that cattleya but large specimen orchids do look nicer)... I just purchase plants as well. Though I have a hard time with them because the water is so hard here. I bought an RO unit but there've been some complications with installing it.

You know those white orchids he's got... you could probably grow those as well...they're phalaenopsis, don't like full sun but love humidity and warmth.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  24. oberfeldwebel

I can understand where you're coming from on that. I used to snub ebay for the very same reasons. My stepfather got me curious though and it turns out most ebay 'stores' either Are reputable manufacturers, or sell the manufacturuers' items New (some with manufacturer waranties depending on the manufacturer), paypal is secure and covers purchases made through them in case there is no warranty, and check this out, I found a new fixture that supports 400w bulbs for $95 and a 400w SunMaster Warm Deluxe bulb (new) for $60 (add about $6 for shipping on the bulb, the fact that the purchase being made outta state voids sales tax...you'd be saving $19 per bulb).

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I finally did it!

Bought me a Mexican mango and buried the seed in some soil! I can't wait to see if I get a sprout...

I am very hopeful, and of course I will post pictures if anything happens. So fun and exciting.