Coquitlam Tree Cutting Permit Bylaw Review

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DianneBond, Jan 20, 2007.

1. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

Coquitlam residents can hurry and support the mayor in providing better protection for trees by sending email to her at mwilson@coquitlam.ca with copies to the arborist, EGorby@coquitlam.ca and the city clerk at ssantarossa@coquitlam.ca as soon as possible.
    There will be a public consultation session early this year that will be announced at www.coquitlam.ca, or you can contact Environment Services at (604) 927-3482 for information.
    This is my first post. I have never done anything like this before and will not be monitoring this site. I hope this message reaches the right people.
    Thank you for your attention.

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm having a really bad reaction to this post and think it is for the following reasons:

- it assumes that people will want to leap onto a bandwagon about which the poster provides no information whatsoever, appealing only to emotion with unsupported use of trigger words (tree protection).

- the poster expliticly states that she has no interest in anyone else's input on the subject - is only broadcasting her point of view; nor does she have enough interest in the forum to even check for responses, only in what it can do for her and her cause.

- she is polarizing what is already a polarized issue with excessive emotion and with the implication that there is an enemy (tree haters?) against whom the mayor needs support.

3. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

I am very sorry you feel that way. Please forgive me, it won't happen again.

4. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

I hope the proposed bylaw, will also cover the Cities,(read,OUR) lands. To frequently any concerned resident, who informs the City about any type of tree problem, will find the tree removed, even though the risk is extremely slight to private properties.
    The City has lost a lot of trees, to development, with a noticeable loss in wildlife values.

5. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

Thanks. I hope so too.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think this is what was missing from the first post:

A Guide to the Tree Cutting Permit Bylaw from the City of Coquitlam. They've done a good job with the site, providing a Q+A and the text of the bylaw (one beef I have with it is the lack of dates on the pages).

I'm guessing Dianne also didn't realize she'd be receiving email notifications about replies, as she's certainly returned.

I agree that more background would be helpful to introduce people to why this is important.

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I live in Coquitlam and is aware of the issue.

The tree cutting permit proposed is largely related to issues of erosion control. It does not address the removal of any other trees from private properties, unless erosion control is adversely impacted upon, or unless there is a specific restriction due to environmental issue - i.e., it's potential for significant impact on wildlife, it's effect on riparian habitat, etc.

I think the city engineers looked at the recent landslides in Port Coquitlam and North Vancouver and felt they should act now. (I applaud them).

It does not offer any protection to any specific tree specimen sitting on private property, unless there is a pre-existing convenant prohibiting the removal of the tree.

8. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

Thanks to Daniel for posting the link to the web site.

Yes, the primary focus of the existing Tree Cutting Permit Bylaw relates to slope stability to ensure that proposed tree cutting will not create a danger due to flooding, landslides or erosion.

However, the review process will explore means to protect trees that are considered to be important natural assets in our urban landscape. Council is exploring the feasibility of amending the bylaw to provide a measure of protection for trees and not just steep slopes.

The review process will include:
    Phase 1: Background research and policy review.
    Phase 2: Development of a DRAFT Tree Bylaw.
    Phase 3: Public consultation in early 2007 after the initial phases of work have been completed.

The City welcomes feedback. For more information please contact the City:

RE: Tree Cutting Permit Bylaw Review
    Email: feedback@coquitlam.ca
    Tel: 604-927-3482, Fax: 604-927-3405
    City of Coquitlam, 3000 Guildford Way, Coquitlam, B.C. V3B 7N2
    http://www.coquitlam.ca/NR/rdonlyre...790A/60118/TreeCuttingPermitBylawReviewQA.pdf

9. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Coquitlam does have a history of land slips, mostly caving erosion events. Some quite large, one was estimated at 350,000Cu.M., and swept across Pipeline road,blocking the Coquitlam River, for a short period of time, in the early 1950,s, it went 300M, back, and was 100M wide, scary; smaller ones continue to this day. Another, the size never estimated, occurred in Pinnacle Creek, and swept down blocking the CPR tracks, Today this area is covered by homes. This bylaw is needed, and hopefully enforced, too many people are cutting trees down in the public,riparian areas for their views, with no regard for people downslope.

10. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

You are right to put emphasis on enforcement. You are also right about the earth caving and slipping.

When we moved to Coquitlam in 1988 our brand new townhouse sunk about 6 inches in the northeast corner, and our friend had to keep fixing the railings on the city's cement stairway as it slipped down the hill repeatedly. A restrictive covenant runs with the land for geotechnical reasons, and it was in a tree cutting permit area when about 100 mature birch and pine trees were cut down and most of about 3,000 bushes were dug out in spite of our warnings about structural damage and environmental concerns.

The effect on our environment was devastating. I think it looks like a war zone, the bare dirt that was left has been left that way since October 2005. Only a very few weeds have managed to grow. I think the soil is poisoned by chemicals that prevent germination. Last year the city arborist allowed dozens more trees to be cut down.

There is no plan to replace what was lost. I wish I know how much it would cost to replace even one of those trees, but they do not seem to be for sale. Maybe it wouldn't survive. I guess it is not appropriate to get emotional about it, but we feel so alarmed we don't know what to do.

This is our home, and we want to stay, but it doesn't feel safe. It isn't beautiful anymore either.

11. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

This bylaw review also relates to a destructive clear cut on the 600 block of Sydney Street. If these trees were a danger to residents, then yes cut them, but they were not. These trees were cut to profit from taking 2 residential properties and dividing them into 6. Furthermore, the entire Westwood Plateau is allegedly slipping due to clear cutting and development. Might I say, buyer beware. Remember, that the Coquitlam mountainous region receives hundreds of milimetres of rainfall per annum, which has and is, only going to increase as a result of global warming on this part of the planet. This is something that I studied at UBC 22 years ago in meteorology/geography. I think it is time to rethink plantings as a stabilization factor.

12. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Unfortunately, there are people who believe that retaining walls constructed from garden ties will stop the forces of nature. Good enough for a small wall, but vast lengths of it?

13. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

The city arborist allowed the trees in the cutting permit area to be removed because there were cement retaining walls.

14. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

I am not surprised to hear about the effect of clear cutting on Westwood Plateau.

I am surprised to hear that Coquitlam Council supported Coun. Richard Stewart's motion to suspend the review of the city's existing tree cutting permit bylaw. Global warming seems to be of less concern than what Coun. Lou Sekora calls creating "red tape" for city staff. I phoned Mr. Stewart several times to discuss this bylaw review, but he did not return any of my calls.

According to the February 7, 2007, edition of the Tri-Cities News, councillors voted in November 5-4 to review the bylaw, but Richard Stewart and Lou Sekora are opposed to the plan. Apparently council will re-visit the topic at an upcoming meeting. In the meantime, considering what happened to me, I have to say you are quite right - buyer beware.

The good news is that area residents campaigned to save a 9.8 acre strip of city owned forest at 1255 Durant, a public hearing was held, and those trees will be preserved as park.

I would like to extend my thanks to anyone who campaigned for a review of Coquitlam's tree cutting bylaw to bring it in line with other Lower Mainland municipalities. Maybe there will be another chance coming up.

15. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dianne. if you want to be proactive, try looking at the more recent bylaws enacted in local areas, for instance, Delta, Richmond and Surrey. suggest your council review and consider similiar bylaws and such, they seem fair, reasonable and enforceable. I am not in the market to save every tree, every time, but lets try and preserve those that deserve it and will benefit from it. That is intelligent tree management to me. And, if you have the energy, help the Riverview society preserve their site, that is surely worth trying to save.
    http://www.rhcs.org/

16. DianneBond

DianneBond Member

Sorry for the delay in responding to your suggestion. It was a very good one.

Unfortunately, I became a bit depressed when Coquitlam told me it requires that trees (standing or felled and/or their trunks) must be available for assessment for the Tree Cutting Permit Bylaw to be enforced. The City says that it cannot enforce the bylaw, even when trees in a protected area are removed without permission, if the stumps are ground up at the same time that the trees are cut down.

Burnaby Tree Bylaw 1996 better recognizes that trees provide important environmental benefits and enhance the quality of life. A tree plan showing the location and diameter of trees is required as part of the application for building permits. Cutting permits are required up until one year after the date of occupancy, and a replacement tree for any protected tree that was cut down, and a security deposit equal to 120% of the cost of the replacement tree(s), may be required. A list of suggested replacement trees is available from the Building Department. A person who is guilty of an offence is liable to a fine of not less than $2000.00 for each violation. When they receive notice that they contravened the bylaw, they must immediately plant a replacement tree of the same species in approximately the same location as the tree cut down.

Port Coquitlam’s Tree Bylaw, 2005, No. 3474 regulates the removal of and provides for the replacement of trees throughout the city. With few exceptions, it is unlawful to cut trees on any urban land without a tree cutting permit. Tree damaging activities can only be carried out strictly in accordance with a permit, and a tree replacement plan, arborist report, and a report from a geotechnical engineer may be required. The unauthorized cutting of each tree constitutes a separate offence, each offence is a ticketable offence, and any Bylaw Enforcement Officer, may issue a ticket. In addition, remedial measures must be taken by the owner of the lands from which the trees were removed.

I think Coquitlam would do well to follow Port Coquitlam's lead, at least with respect to scope and enforcement, if nothing else.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007