Fresh Grass vs Dried Grass

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by jugsy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. jugsy

jugsy Member

Why is fresh grass considered a green (Nitrogen) and dried grass a brown (carbon)? I imagine this is the same principle for leaves, weeds, etc. I am new to composting and was wondering what if anything happens to the nitrogen?

2. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I'm not too knowledgable about the nitrogen cycle, but I would assume that the majority of the nitrogen contained in the plant matter is in chemicals which the plant cannot hold onto unless it's alive, carbon on the other hand forms the basic structure of the plant among other things. So while the nitrogen containing compound leech out of the plant matter relatively quickly, it takes much longer for the carbon compounds to break down. Now I'll just wait for someone to correct me, haha.

3. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

Dried grass that has has not been subjected to long days lying wet in the field will still have a lot of nitrogen and should be considered a green. Why else would we collect it to feed to the cows?

Lying wet will allow bacteria to live, multiply and consume the nitrogen along with some of the carbon. This grass is now a brown.

4. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

Nitrogen is an inert gas that is 'fixed' into the plant by bacteria. Bacteria also break the nitrogen loose. When grass dries the nitrogen is released, as a gas, unless it is recaptured by bacteria. It's been a while since I studied all the process involved but it has alot to do with nitrogen only being held as a compound that is not too stable.
    Carbon however is a non metal solid that can only become part of a gaseous compond. Since it is a solid it cannot evaporate like nitrogen and pretty much remains fixed where it is. So green grass would still have a nitrogen content but dry grass would have very little and be mostly carbon.
    Bacteria feed on nitrogen, that is why you need to add green material to your compost heap to keep the bacteria healthy.

Gene

5. jugsy

jugsy Member

Thank you for the replies. VERY helpful.