small berries shrub

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by alzubide, Nov 4, 2009.

1. alzubide

alzubide Active Member

Good Day

I bought this plant from Japan, it carry dark purple/ black berries, It is edible, It seems not hardy at all as the leaves is burning as you can see in the picture, the temperature dropped to around 9 degree centigrade, can some one identify this, thanks

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

A Nightshade. Not sure which one though.

3. alzubide

alzubide Active Member

Thanks for the replay, but I have checked over the internet and found that the nightshade is called belladonna in the UK and it is a member of the Solanaceae, the tomato or nightshade family. Like most members of the family, its various parts are poisonous, but the one in the picture is edible, it carries clusters of white flowers followed by the black berries, thanks any way for your efforts.

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe Solanum melanocerasum.

6. alzubide

alzubide Active Member

I can’t tell exactly what the flavor is, it seems like tomato but little sweet and not sour, and there is plenty of seeds inside, when First I bought it there was plenty of small seedlings growing around the plant, which means that it can be grown from seeds, it is not Atropa belladonna as the flowers are different, but it looks like the on e on this site http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/n/nighbl04.html and it is called Nightshade, black, so I think it is better to stop eating it, I have seen a thread by the Hollyberry lady, posted on 30th of October 09, if you post a picture for the seedling maybe I can tell if it is the same or not, the seedlings are not totally green, they have brownish color around the edges as a general note.
    Also it seems very close to the pictures of Solanum melanocerasumr, thanks for you all.