help me save my Meyer lemon

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by palmerozo, Dec 5, 2012.

1. palmerozo

palmerozo Member

Hello

I need help to save my Meyer Lemon Tree. I've got this three for birthday from my friend from Florida. He gives me tree this march and till September I've keep it outside on my balcony. Month ago I've put tree inside (because of low temperature outside - I'm living in Chicago Area). Since then I've my lemon tree starts loosing leafs.
    I have been trying to keep soil in the pot always little wet, then I've found over the internet that soil has to be almost completely dry. I've panicked ..and completely remove all wet soil and put lemon into new pot with new dry soil (plus little water).
    It didn't help. On lemon trees I can see more and more yellow leaves.
    I', afraid that tree will loose all leafs :(

I'm trying to keep tree close to balcony door directly exposure to sun.
    I've feed it once a month with "Jobes Organic Fruitand citrus fetilizer" and spraing with a water few times a day.

I've even start to use this "glass bal" willed with water which I put into the soil and bought growing lights to keep light over 12 hours a day.

Please need some advice and help to save my lovely citrus tree :(

few pictures:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_U-c6LHTVPApi7sonZWXaQBBBwQJJzhRm9VZ7gpntpk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SJ3X6484W0PUviOSQaeEIgBBBwQJJzhRm9VZ7gpntpk?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B7w3EPMan4oXwyKvJtGLewBBBwQJJzhRm9VZ7gpntpk?feat=directlink

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The yellow leaves in the photos have the look of old ones and so their loss could be normal. Notice they are in the lower portion of the tree where the oldest leaves would be found. Are the petioles (leaf stems) being shed with the leaves or do they remain attached to the tree stem? Is the tree shedding any green leaves? The tree as seen in 'Lemon3' actually looks fairly healthy.

Check to make sure the fertilizer you're using contains micronutrients. The misting won't have much effect on the tree as any increase in humidity will be short-lived. I would remove the glass watering bulb and simply allow the soil to dry somewhat between applications.

3. palmerozo

palmerozo Member

Thanks for quick replay..

All leaf stems are remain attached to the tree steam.
    I didn't see any new green leaves since I've bring tree inside (2 months ago). I believe that tree still is trying to accommodate to the new "environment".
    2 weeks after I've bring tree inside I've trimmed few overgrown branches and removed several flowers.

I've just moved tree out of direct sun and put it on the top of book shelf. There is less light over there but this is still "light" environment. I've google some tips that lemon tree during winter season shouldn't be expose on direct sunlight.
    Glass watering bulb also has been removed.

I hope it would help.....

Regards !

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The petiole normally stays with the leaf when it drops. The tree could be stressed if the petiole remains attached to the tree stem. At this point I wouldn't be too worried unless you are losing leaves that otherwise appear healthy. Make sure the tree's new location is well lit. Good luck.