what is attacking my new fruit trees?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by pstock, Dec 8, 2012.

1. pstock

pstock Member

Very strange circumstances.

We (fruit tree novices) planted these two fruit trees (one apple, one pear) this past July (we are in Southern Ontario, Canada).
    They didn't have much of a chance to take hold but we are hopeful for growth next year.

Having not looked at them recently, when I walked past today (early December) I was surprised to see some boughs broken off and lying on the ground.
    the breaks seem clean and I would have thought "wind storm" but it's not been that windy and these trees are so skinny that I don't think any wind could catch hold.

I suspected animals of some kind (we are in the country here, Zone 4a/b) but there are not obvious nibble marks.
    There are however abrasions on the trunk of one tree.

can anyone shed any light on this mystery?
    I was thinking of surrounding the trees with heavy chicken wire. If this is normal for new fruit trees, for how long would one leave it up?
    many thanks

Peter

Photos here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107276842128622974989/albums/5819680347401263809

Attached Files:

2. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i also live in the country, and we have problems with the young male deer peeling the bark off our young trees with their newly grown antlers. knocks most of the young branches off, but your pictures look like some kind of bark rot, with twisted branches.
    how long ago did you purchase them from the local nursery? is/was there any bug activity? did you change the soil before planting? or check the root zone for pests? i try to not ever buy plants from any nursery. I have lived all over north america, and nurseries are all the same. every plant purchased came home with one issue or another.
    sorry i couldn't be of any real help. good luck.

3. pstock

pstock Member

Purchased the trees back in about... June 2012.
    they were then left at the nursery until the end of July 2012 when I picked them up and transported them.

the soil in the area we planted them was terrible so Yes we excavated a deep hole into which we put fresh good soil.

Hadn't noticed any bug activity to this point.

Peter

4. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i cant imagine what it might be, but a friend of mine said that when temps go down rather fast from being mild the younger branches sometimes freeze and fall off in harsh winds. i showed her your pic's, and she says this is what likely has happened. not to worry, they will grow back. new plants seem to suffer more than ones that have had time to adjust, and grow a long tap root.
    does the ground in your area freeze? if so, she says this may be the problem. next year, after a full season, your trees will do much better. i hope this helps.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Deer, using the tree to remove the velvet from their antlers.

Put in 3 or 4 stout posts and a ring of chicken wire around the tree so they can't get to it.