Sever Pear Rust

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by GenevieveCox, Oct 10, 2012.

1. GenevieveCox

GenevieveCox Member

Hi there,

We have just moved into a new home, and much to my delight it came with a pear tree!

Over the past week or so I have noticed that the leaves have developed some mighty impressive growths. After doing some research, I have learned that they have rust. Now, my question is what I should be doing about it? It is affecting the majority of the leaves on the tree and I am unsure of how to treat such a severely spread fungus.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If this is Pear Juniper Rust, then there is not a lot you can do unless you are able to remove the juniper trees that act as the alternate host for the disease.

3. GenevieveCox

GenevieveCox Member

Thanks for the response.
    How can I tell if it's from Junipers? My backyard faces onto a forest, so although I don't have one in my yard, there might be one in closer proximity. How close do they have to be together for this to happen?

Thanks again.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This rust is easy to identify: just Google the name (or "pear trellis rust") and look at the pictures. You'll probably have a harder time identifying junipers in your area. A lot of them are called cedars and are frequently planted as hedges. It's unlikely that the forest has any junipers; neighbors are more likely to have planted them. The WSU Web site says that junipers closer than 1000 ft should be eliminated.