British Columbia: Plums & scions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Spliced6, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Spliced6

Spliced6 Member

We have a plum tree in our back yard that blooms wonderfully every spring but has not produced fruit since our neighbour chopped down his plum several years ago. So I figured I'll graft another variety to the tree to provide a pollinator. This brings up a few questions.
    1-Since I have no idea what kind of plum it is, does it make sense to graft two varieties to the tree?
    2-What varieties are well suited to BC Lower Mainland's coastal climate and produce large amounts of viable pollen?
    3-Who has or where can I get plum scion wood in BC?
    Thanks

2. Zack T.

Zack T. New Member

I have several plum trees, so I can provide you with some scion wood. Please note, you need to tell me what kind of plum tree you have in order not to give you the same tree scion wood. Moreover, you need a plum which is a good pollinator for your tree. If you don't know which kind of plum you have you will need to graft 2 to 3 different kind of scion wood on your plum in order to make sure you are safe. Please note, this is a very simple task to do - I have done it many times. I even have a small nursery in my backyard, where I mostly graft apples, pears and plums. My email is zack41ca, and I use Gmail.com as my email server. I live near Nanaimo Skytrain.

3. Spliced6

Spliced6 Member

Many thanks for getting back to me. Since posting those questions in 2011, we have moved away from the Lower Mainland and really have no idea of what has happened to that plum tree which we had inherited from the previous owners of that property. A season or two prior to moving, I had obtained several cuttings and grafted them onto the tree. Several of them took and were growing vigorously by the time we sold. But that's the last I know of them.