Lemon tree dying

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by roklas, May 23, 2009.

1. roklas

roklas Member

I purchased a house in Fresno Aug 08 with an existing mature lemon tree. I am not certain when the tree was planted but I believe about the same time the yard was landscaped and planted, in the mid 70's. The leaves looked healthy at the time of purchase. A full crop of lemons came on through the winter. How ever all the leaves dropped though out the winter and spring. About a 3rd of the lemons were mal-formed. Long and pointed. The rest were well formed with good fruit about the size if apples. The old lemons we pulled off in August were the size of grapefruits with seeds sprouting inside.

The tree had a very light blooming that I thought was late (early may). Well after the orange (early April), grapefruit, plum, and peach bloomed. It has not developed any leaf buds and the very small fruits that started to form have dried up.

The trunk appears to have new vertical fishers in it. I don't remember seeing them before. The tree is not water stressed and the surrounding citrus appears to be healthy and thriving receiving the same amount of water. I have not given the lemon or the surrounding orange, grapefruit, plum or peach any supplements as yet and do not know if previous owner did last year.

Does any one recognize this problem and have a solution.

Thank you
    Robin, Fresno

PS I know almost nothing about caring for citrus and am in need of education...

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Without a picture to go by, one can only guess from your description. The word "vertical fishers" does not sound good at all. The most serious disease caused by Phytophthora spp. is gummosis, also know as foot rot. Infection occurs near the ground level, producing vertical lesions that extend down to the the bud union and can extend below the bud union, on non resistant root stocks. Look up the following words on the Internet, and see if any of them looks like what is happening to your tree. The best of luck to this tree. - Millet (1,337-)

Citrus foot rot (Caused by Phytophthora sp.)
    Citrus Gummosis (Caused by Phytophthora sp.)

3. roklas

roklas Member

Thank you. The fishers I was speaking of are in the upper trunk before the tree branches they are narrow and small. How ever there is also a long trangular section of trunk rising from the ground that looked to me like some one had smeared tar into a break in the trunk. It now appears to be the condition you suspects.. and looks like the picture on the website you recommended..

Is this some thing that can and will spread to an orange and Grapefruit. I have both withing 6 yards of the Lemon tree.

Treatment question:
    Do I understand that I need to cut away the gummy tar like area, Prune back the top, and paint the area with Copper as directed on the label? Is this the proper treatment of this problem assuming the tree is not too far gone?

Robin, Fresno

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The most serious disease caused by Phytophthora spp. is gummosis, also known as foot rot. The cambium and inner bark are damaged, but the outer bark remains firm with small cracks through which abundant gum exudes. and is persistent on the trunk, unless heavy rains occur. Lesions can spread around the circumference of the trunk, killing the cambium and slowly girding the tree if not treated. Severely affect trees have pale, green leaves with yellow veins. Large trees may be killed, but typically the trunks are only partially girdled and the tree canopy exhibits defoliation, twig dieback, and weak growth flushes. Two of the main causes of gummosis (foot rot) is keeping the trunk wet, and allowing weed or grass growth near the trunk which promotes the area to say wet. A 2 or 3 foot vegetation free ring (bare ground) should be kept around the tree's trunk. Never water a citrus tree with a sprinkler that splashes against the trunk. Try to keep the trunks of all citrus tree varieties dry as possible when watering the tree. Lemons, limes, sweet oranges and grapefruit are very susceptible to foot rot. Injuries to the trunk bark must be avoided since they provide entry points for the pathogen. Treatment is as you have written above. Good luck. - Millet (1,336-)