Leaf Cutter Bees eating leaves.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Dutchman, May 20, 2009.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman Active Member 10 Years

I have a two year old Navel Orange tree which has been supplying food to Leaf Cutter Bees. I spray garlic on the tree morning and evening but it doesn't seem to help. They seem to come at night because neither my wife nor I have seen anything around the tree in the daytime. Is there any defense against these bees? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Dutchman,
    This may sound like an old lady that has slipped down the rabbit hole, but I have been told by several Master Gardners here in the NW, that they are not eating the leaves. They are making baby blankets. They have decided that your Navel Orange tree is the most perfect source of leaves around and are using it to line the nest for their babies. Do they smell good? The bees never do much damage when they cut them from my rose bushes, and it really is an honor.
    barb ;))))

3. Dutchman

Hi Barb:
    Thank you for the complimentary answer. Don't laugh, but I just went out in a drizzle to smell the leaves but didn't smell anything. However the new leaves are large and shiny and I know the tree is healthy. I was thinking of building a frame and wrapping cheesecloth around it but then I wouldn't really be able to see it. The bees must come at night because we never see anything around the tree.
    Dutchman. :-)

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The purpose of the leaves on a citrus tree, is for the manufacturing of photosynthates. Photosynthate production by citrus trees maximizes at only 650 PAR. Therefore, a citrus tree would have to lose 1/3 of it leaves, before any damage would result to the tree's ability to manufacture its food. The bees will do no harm to your tree. However, I can understand, that you want your tree to look it best. Take care. - Millet (1,339)

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Dutchman,
    I'm not to sure when they come, but I've never seen them at work either. I just accept the "Grand Plan" of how this world of plants and insects work together. Some times I think they work together better than we humans do. Viva that which we don't fully understand but accept as fact.
    barb

6. Dutchman

Hi barb:
    Your right about the "Grand Plan". There's not too much the 'intelligent' species can do to change it. Thanks again for the info and also the friend request.
    Dutchman.

7. Dutchman

Thank you Millet for the 'peace of mind'. At this point the tree is far from big and beautiful, but I was worried about any potential damage.