Can you identify these plants?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bigfoot, May 6, 2013.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Active Member

Based on a description? I live in Michigan

1.There was this plant that looked kind of like burdock and it had huge leaves just like burdock, except it was near a stream or a pond, swamp.

It wasn't mullein, thistle, it didn't look like yellow dock - and the plant was entirely green - no purple veins or anything.

I don't if its another type of dock plant or something, if its a dock plant its probably one that I've never heard of. Anyway, my dad and I and his friend went hiking in a park in the woods and we went near the stream, and that is when we saw a bunch of these dock-like plants. There were lots of blue cohosh plants growing in that park. I discovered a plant with 3 leaves, and a white flower in the middle, and I later discovered that it might be a trillium plant. We also discovered marsh marigold.

2. There were these plants growing wild all over the place that resemble plants like hostas, piper ornatum leaves, scindapsus pictus leaves. What kind of common plants that look like these grow in Michigan forests all over the place?

These plants typically have like green leaves and white or red veins or spots on them, or something similar to that. They kind of look like they are tropical plants, and that the majority of them might be poisonous. A lot of them look like and act like some type of ivy that creeps along the ground.

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

1 - compare with Alisma.

3. bigfoot

bigfoot Active Member

It looked like this picture of Rumex sanguineus (bloody dock), except my plant didn't have the purple veins:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bur...3DPLANTS.plantDetail%26plant_id%3D404;450;299

It had oval shaped completely green leaves (no purple veins or red veins or white veins or such) that spread almost flat against the ground.

Burdock has more curled leaves, but my plants leaves were not curled like burdocks, they had no teeth, they were completely oval like the leaves of the plant bloody dock.

I originally took the picture on my camera, but due to technical issues I had to delete some of my pictures including the plants that I took.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. Tyrlych

If these plants are not rare, can you find one and take a picture?

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Active Member

6. Tyrlych

This is Symplocarpus, perhaps S.foetidus.