In The Garden: new alleyway rescuee

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, May 6, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

I rescued this plant today. 'Twas an alleyway throwaway, rootbound in never-watered soil in a 4" pot. I think it will be just fine now, although at the moment it looks just terrible.

—So: whom have I rescued? I have not the foggiest idea what kind of plant this is.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Matthiola incana

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Well, imagine that! A fragrant stock! I followed up on your identification, and, sure enough, that's it. Very nice. It seems all good, no negatives except if I were actually buying one, I'd likely not buy a "double" as this appears to be.

However, I simply found this one, cast out beside a dumpster. So I'm happy if it's happy; and apparently we'll have its fragrance to enjoy as well.

Thanks very much, Sundrop, for your ID. Appreciated.

I think it will overcome its obviously terrible previous treatment. It will just be a setback, but now I am pretty sure our new Matthiola will thrive.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

And a fair chance that any seedlings it produces will be single.

Quite possible though that the double flowers will have less (or even no) scent than singles do.

5. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

I see. I'm glad you mentioned that, as now we won't be wondering where the scent is.

Doubles and such "don't impress me much", but I often am very impressed indeed with wild things. I don't need humankind to bring out the colours; I love what I see along a forest trail. I live in a bewildering chaos of human intervention, and so our tiny balcony with its alleyway view is a mixmash of compounded compromise and contradiction.

We'll watch and see if our orphaned Matthiola incana is able to revert to a more naturally harmonious form through its progeny.

Thanks for that.