In The Garden: extremely tiny flowers amongst old ivy

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, May 3, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

We are hoping to revitalize an old ivy that has been heroically surviving in a pot. The ivy must be tough as nails, and I think it will make it.

But who are these friends it has? Two white flowers and one purple kind. I'm guessing the white ones are a saxifrage and a crucifer, and the purple one (two pictures) is an extremely diminutive violet. But those are just guesses.

They won't bother the ivy, will they? I'm not a yanker-outer of "weeds", and these flowers seem to be enjoying the spring sunshine as much as I am.

Keep in mind these flowers are all extremely small. The purple ones would easily fit on your littlest fingernail—and both white ones are maybe just a fifth that size; i.e. five of these white flowers on your little fingernail.

Thanks for your help.

2. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Well, those two are both excellent, as I'm sure you are right.

Looking at the ivy now, I see that it is indeed Kenilworth Ivy, Cymbalaria muralis. That is the species name for the entire ivy plant, which I hadn't even hoped to identify: I thought we'd never get past "some sort of ivy".

So, instead of the purple flowers being those of an intrusive weed, we discover our Cymbalaria muralis is in bloom. That is such a happy revelation.

Second, the one white flower does match Stellaria media perfectly. As chickweed is a good grocery item for birds, and the Stellaria is so small amongst the ivy, I'll leave it be.

Thank you very much, hortiphoto, for those two IDs.

—Question: any takers for the other white flower, which looks like an extremely small-flowered crucifer? Thank you.

4. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Kenilworth Ivy isn't an ivy, that's just a common name. It's closely related to Linaria, hence the its other, more accurate common name of ivy-leaved toadflax.

5. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Okay, we'll call it ivy-leaved toadflax for a common name. Or else we'll just use Cymbalaria muralis, or Cymbalaria (reminds me of cymbals and ballerinas) for short.

All this time we thought we had an ivy! Reading from your links, I think this one may have come in on a hanging basket some years ago.

Thanks very much again.

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I don't call Cymbalaria muralis really invasive, maybe just energetic. If you have a bit you'll soon have lots. Don't worry tho it's easy to pull out. I thought it was sweet so when I moved I brought some with me not realizing it grows all over. Seeds are evidently wind or bird spread because it now covers most of my outdoor pots and has crept down into the flower beds. Keeps the soil from drying out so quickly so that's fine. ;))

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, agree with Ivy-leaved Toadflax (which is the correct English name for Cymbalaria muralis).

8. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Judging by the leaves and stems in the third photo I would say you have both a true ivy (Hedera helix) and an ivy-leaved toadflax as we;ll as their little white flowered companions.