In The Garden: for experts ~ just a woody (dead?) stick

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, May 3, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

We have a pot containing half a dozen "sticks" and maybe they are dead. I'd like to know what they are, or what they were, before we give up on them. No new growth has presented itself so far this year, but at the moment we are dutifully watering the plant anyway.

We are treating it as an outdoor potted plant in Vancouver, but, as it was likely salvaged several years ago, I can't guarantee it's not an indoor plant.

Here are two pictures. One is blurred, but shows the way the twigs came out from the stem.

Any takers? (Either for ID or for judging whether there is hope for this versus its being just a carcass.)

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks honeysuckle-ish.

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Gee, I'd be very happy if this were a honeysuckle. We are intending our balcony plants to be attractive to birds, and hummingbirds love honeysuckle.

Thank you for your suggestion.

—I wonder if anyone can suggest whether the plant is dead or alive. It looks dead, but we are caring for it in hope of seeing new life anytime soon. Or anytime ever.

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Scrape the bark with a fingernail, lightly. If there is green cambium underneath, there's life. Otherwise, no dice. If nothing at the top, try the middle and bottom sections as well...might be life lower down.

Depending on when you took the photo, though, it doesn't look promising: honeysuckles have been leafing out for a month or so now, and you should be seeing some signs of buds.

5. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Well, I followed your advice, and, indeed, they appeared to be dead. So this morning I added that plant to our soil/compost storage. Most of the plant will eventually be recycled into other growing things.

Thank you.