Identification: Mystery plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dizzlebug, Feb 3, 2004.

1. dizzlebug

dizzlebug Member

I have a plant that was given to me 22 years ago. I have been trying to find out the name of the plant for most of that time with no success. The plant is huge now, (I cant pick up the pot anymore). I have no pictures available but will try to give an accurate description of it. When the plant is young and small, it looks almost identical to the arrowhead plant sold and department stores. However as the plant matures several changes take place. The clusters of stems(one leaf per stem) begin to vine. The leaves, which start as an arrowhead shape, split into 3 lobes and appear almost ruffled. The plant is medium to dark green with yellow to white variagation of the leaves. It likes a lot of water (soil should always be moist) and bright but filtered light. I grows quickly and has no flowers that I have ever seen. This plant, when fully mature, also puts out a second form of vine that resembles a smooth red rope or tube. About every 6-8 inches along this red vine appears a leaf with the same shape as the mother plant and a set of air-roots. The leaves on the red vines stay very small and the stems of them remain short unlike the normal vines described above. Is it possible this is one of several species of arrow head? Finding the name of this plant has driven me crazy for years. ANYONE who can, please help.

Thanks
    dizz

2. Ali

Ali Active Member

I think that your on the right track, but are seeing the more aged verson...
    Syngonium podophyllum comes in a number of varigated varieties (green gold) (Imperial White) (Emeral gem) and the leaves do change as they get older and the plant takes on a climbing habit!

Hope that this is of some help!

3. dizzlebug

dizzlebug Member

Thanks for your help Ali, I'll keep looking in that direction. I'll try to borrow a digital camera so I can post some pics.

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

You might hit the Library and try Hortica, Exotica, Or Tropica (all very large reference tomes) and I'll bet you can find your plant.