need advice on fertilization of garden plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Captain_Jack, May 25, 2005.

1. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Member

hello,

i am seeking advice on fertilization of plants in my garden. i have planted gardens in the past, but have never used fertilizer on my plants. i have always had success with a garden, but i am now seeking bigger/better veggies, and also am trying for the first time pumpkins and watermelons in my garden which i have heard requires quite a bit of fertilizer because of the soil conditions where i live(SW Missouri).
    talking with various farmers in the area, i hear about everything you can think of, from using rabbit, cow, or horse manure, to using fish emulsion, etc. etc. i have been told that the only thing that works with watermelons is horse manure. my main question is if these various fertilizers work, then when and how much and how about going to put these to the test? lol i really don't want to burn up my plants.

i can say the only thing that i have done for sure is to mix epsom salt in a water bottle and spray on my tomato/pepper plants every other day. also, once a week i have been using fish emulsion on my tomato and pepper plants. any advice on what else is good, and the proper way to fertilize would greatly be appreciated. thanks in advance. :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Test' being the operative word. Sample your soil and have it tested.