Pachypodium lamerei brown scaly stem

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by LateBloomer, Oct 1, 2009.

1. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

Hello,
    I have a Pachypodium lamerei which is somewhere around 20 years old and is well over a metre tall. I just noticed that part of the base of the stem has turned coppery brown and looks scaly and cracked. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, as I've been rather distracted lately by a new baby (poor neglected houseplants!).
    Is this a normal part of aging in Pachypodiums, or do you think it is diseased? And if the latter, what should I do to treat it? I'm very worried about it, as I'm very fond of "Sticky" (short for "Stick of Death") and want him to be around for a long time yet.
    Any help much appreciated! I have attached pictures of both the scaly and normal parts of the stem.
    Thanks!
    ..tuula

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

After taking a close look at those photos, it appears that this may simply be an outer layer of the "bark" that is cracked and being pulled away from the under layer. It appears to be a normal grey-green underneath. It may be due to the fact that the plant is growing and getting fatter. Many of my "fat plants" have "stretch marks" on their trunks and caudexes. The smaller spots, I am not sure, however, my P. geayi (very similar to P. lamerei) is showing evidence of this, as well.

If the plant appears otherwise healthy, then it probably is.

3. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

Yes, generally the plant is healthy otherwise. Thanks for the info; I'm hoping it's just a sign of aging.
    ..tuula