Plumeria Cutting Help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JugglingWolves, Aug 8, 2005.

1. JugglingWolves

JugglingWolves Member

I've been searching for information on how to replant plumeria cuttings, but nothing I've found has offered much help. Most of my other plants sprouted roots when left in a container of water, but Plumerias don't particularly like a lot of water and I'm afraid that it will develop stem rot if I leave it like that.

From what I've been able to gather, I'm supposed to dip the end in a root growth hormone. Some sites say to let the cutting dry for a few weeks and then plant it, but I'm not too sure how to go about doing that. My plumeria plant sustained a bit of damage on the stem during a move, so I clipped it just above and just below, starting the new cutting and hopefully promoting a branch on the original plant.

Any help or advice on just how I should go about potting this new cutting so that it will survive would be excellent!

You guys have been so helpful in the past!
    Thanks!

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

just try the rooting hormone powder .. it should work .. and stick it in dirt..

good luck with it

Marn

3. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

With a yard full of various colored plumeria, I can offer a little advice as to things that have worked for me. The frangipani is one of those rare and wonderful plants that can be propagated easily. Any piece or part, any time of the year, can be stuck in the ground and you have a new one. (Given: you are in a temporate place where they normally grow). A large pot indoors should give similar results anywhere. The Plumeria is also self seeding, and this is often a source of dozens sold at charity fund raisers. In the U.S., the travelling carnivals and various plant shows/sales often have sellers of "sausage trees". In fact, the sausage looking piece of plant trunk, coated in heavy parafine wax, is a plumeria. Peel the wax and poke it in dirt.
    One problem you can have is created by pruning. Wherever you take off a limb, from 1 to 4 new ones can start to grow, so pruning can be kind of self-defeating.
    Next month(March) I will cut some 60 or 70 branches from seven trees and take them to a plant sale my Master Gardener group has each spring. The cuttings will be of five different colors and we sell them for $1.00 each(it's not like they are hard to find here).
    Each fall, the leaves collect a yellow, powdery fungus that concerns some people. The fungus only appears as the leaves are dying in preparation for all falling off. No big deal- - - do nothing and the leaves all fall off! Rake them up and you are ready for the next year. (Oh! And if you spray the fungus, the leaves all fall off anyway).

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

An after thought: Just allow the sap to dry before you plant your cutting, this means just a day or so.