Course on espalier apple trees?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I bought 3 apple trees at your apple festival last month with the idea that I would like to espalier (not sure of the term) them. I was told that there would probably be a course to show how to do that. Your calendar shows a course in November on Dormant Pruning with Andrew Hill. then there is another on Winter pruning in February.

Would either of these courses be the one he was talking about. Am I missing something? If no course, then is there a book or article you would recommend? Or web site?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

The upcoming course offered at UBC by Andrew Hill will focus mostly on pruning.

However, both Andrew and Tony Maniezzo, horticulturists at UBC, have experience with espaliered apple trees, and they would happily answer your questions. The preferred way would be for you to ask your specific question on these boards, so everyone can learn and contribute to the answers.

In addition, some recommended books on espalier are:

- "Cavendish Encyclopedia of Pruning and Training" by Christopher Brickell
    - "RHS Handbook of Pruning"
    - "Wisley Handbook of Pruning and Espalier"

3. Gina Shevchenko

Gina Shevchenko Member

espalier tree placement

Is the placement of an espalier apple tree against a wall necessary? I live in the United States, Zone 7 climate, Would a espalier fruit tree in my area thrive with southern exposure and a wire support system with no wall for warmth?
    Gina

4. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

No, it is not necessary to put your apple tree up against a walll, we have many trees in the food garden that are stand alone trees also with a southern exposure.. In fact your tree may benefit from the added air flow, which will help prevent fungal problems.

5. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

keep checking the website, I will be teaching a half day course on espaliers in the late spring.

6. pom

pom

dwarf pomegranate espalier

Does anyone know how to train a dwarf pomegranate that is about 8" tall right now into an espalier. Is it the same proceedure as an apple tree? Please let me know or direct me to a site with that information.