Vanc: best nut? dwarf fruit?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by suebcca, Sep 18, 2014.

1. suebcca

suebcca New Member

Short story: I would like to plant two different fruit trees (preferably dwarf, and not apple since I already have a large apple tree ) and was wondering which ones do well in Vancouver.

It had never occurred to me, though, until I looked at the forum, to consider nut trees. Any suggestions there? I like the idea of walnut worry it grows too tall.

I have a southern exposure but may plant one of the dwarf fruit or nut in the front of the property, away from house it will get more sun.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Depends on what your definition of "dwarf" is.

I have the following growing in my yard or on my patio:
    Italian Honey Fig (I have seen fig trees pruned to bush size), - self fertile so you only need one and figs produce 2 crops per year
    Chocolate Persimmon (12-15ft) - self fertile
    Black Mulberries (25ft) - you get more fruit with 2
    Loquat (15ft) - self fertile but chances of getting fruit is slim because it flowers in the fall / winter
    Pawpaw (15-20ft) - need 2 different types for fertilization
    Pineapple Guava (up to 30ft in more tropical areas) - need 2 for fruit
    Frost Peach (12-15ft) - self fertile
    Medlar (12-15ft) - self fertile
    Cornelian Cherry Dogwood (up to 25ft) - need 2 for fertilization
    Hazelnut (these can be kept at about 10ft with pruning but you might not get any nuts if you have squirrels) - self fertile.
    Jujubee (pruned to desired height) - self fertile but flowers in late summer for winter fruit so chances of getting fruit slim
    Yellowhorn / Chinese Flowering Chestnut (10-12ft) - edible nut similar in flavor to macadamia, best with 2
    Sand Cherry - several varieties but only about 6-8ft in height but these are more of a baking than eating fruit

And remember, any tree can be kept small; we do not allow our apple, plum or pear to grow more than about 15ft as this makes it easier to harvest