Arbutus tree - allergies

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by tomauroland, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tomauroland

tomauroland Member

Does anyone know of issues with allergies to the Arbutus tree?

I am having a terrible time just recently, although I've always thought this tree caused allergies to my family. This week I'm getting terrible headaches, and now believe it's been because I've had windows open right under the Arbutus (native and huge), and also have been raking-a full time job! It seems now there is more bark shedding then leaves.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I thought that Arbutus in this area stopped blooming and shedding pollen long ago. If that is the case, your problems can't be a pollen allergy; and I've never heard of an allergy to the presence of the tree.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The worst allergy culprits are wind-pollinated plants, which by their nature (not needing to attract pollinating insects) are inconspicuous; it is very easy to blame something more conspicuous nearby that is actually not the real culprit.

Look out for plants nearby like Artemisia and Ambrosia, which are far more likely culprits.

4. tomauroland

tomauroland Member

Thank you for your reply. I will say that I've lived in this house for 37 years--the Arbutus tree is HUGE..my daughter had very strong allergies while she had the room closest to the tree. it is now very, very tall, one of the largest I have seen in the Central Island area (Vancouver Island) and I have just had a huge allergic reaction to "something" the last week. First I blamed it on eating something with MSG in it on Friday, but have had a bad migraine every day since. Since it was so hot I had windows open and lots of air coming in the two windows closest to the tree which is shedding bark right now, and still has leaves, although the leaves have lessened, I thought there could be allergens in the bark...or maybe it's just dust, etc coming off the tree.

5. tomauroland

tomauroland Member

meant it still has leaves falling, and many still on the ground. If anyone has Arbutus trees you know it's a full time summer job! raking ...

6. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

is it possible that you are allergic not to the tree, but to an insect or perhaps fungus/mould growing on the tree? For example I know that many people are allergic to the spores of sooty mould which is common on the Arbutus here in Portugal.

boa saude,
    boa sorte

Brian