ONE Viburnum davidii

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Paula B, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

our revitalized back garden (only a year old) has one viburnum davidii. Reading up on this shrub, I now know if there were 2, I might have some lovely metallic blue berries this fall. How do I find out if the existing viburnum is male or female. The tag, (which I kept), does not indicate. I did have flowers this spring . . .

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Buy one with fruit on it, plant nearby. If next year there is no fruit from either, assume both are female. Since these are not usually sold sexed, you are left with assuming that fruitless ones at nurseries, in the presence of ones with fruit are males. Of course, the two clones or sets of seedlings may not have been together, in the same sales yard at flowering time. Once you get a set of females together, you will need to keep only one male.

Otherwise you would have to poke around inside the tiny flowers at flowering time and see if you can determine that some have obviously functional anthers and others do not. I don't know how straightforward this is with this particular plant.

3. Paula B

Paula B Active Member

thanks!