Holes in tomatoes, who dunit?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by KimberlyJ, Aug 4, 2012.

1. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

Hi there! I need to find out what did this before it strikes again. On my orange cherry tomato plant I found these hollowed out but no culprit in sight. It only seems to have been on the one 'bunch' of that particular plant but I don't know for sure and I'd really like to know what it is. If anybody can please help that would be wonderful! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Any slimy trails? Looks like snails or slugs to me. They usually work in the cool of night. barb

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

Nope, no slime. I think it's too dry right now here in Wisconsin for those. I took one of the tomatoes to work with me to see if I could get an answer. First it was suggested that mice were involved. I'm ruling that out because they would probably eat the entire thing and probably go for the bigger ones. Plus these don't look like something a mouse would do. Then they said it's probably a grub of some sort which was what I suspected but I'm trying to find out exactly what it is so I'm about to take a flashlight out and search. Wish me luck :)

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Go out at night with a flashlight. I bet you'll find the culprit and
    it'll likely be a cutworm or similar Lepidoptera.

5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

I did go out there last night but saw nothing. Nothing new has been eaten as of today. Maybe they were just passing through.

I looked up some images of cutworms and I guess I better take a closer look in case it's green and blending in.

6. saltcedar

7. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

Geez I better take a really close look! What do I do if I find them? Thank you for the information btw. Very helpful.

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'll bet your right saltcedar! I forgot all about those buggers. Kimberly - they can be tiny, under an inch or up to 3 inches. And they blend in very well. Check for frass (poop).

9. saltcedar

Hand picking for the larger ones is the usual control method.

10. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

I sat outside and checked all the plants thoroughly for any signs of intruders. I found nothing and no more tomatoes have been eaten. I'm crossing my fingers it was a one time assault. Thank you very much for the help. Now I know what I am looking for at least. I will do an evening search with a flashlight later tonight.

11. stone

stone Active Member

12. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Active Member

I'm very pleased because I think I got lucky. It's been over a week since there has been any damage. I still check regularly though, just in case.