Rose of Sharon winter care

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by nushin, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Do I need to bring my rose of sharon in for the winter (I live in Maryland)? Also the leaves are yellow right now. Is that normal for this time of year for the plant, or do I need to care for it.

2. I live in southern coastal british columbia and I leave my rose of sharron in the ground. They will yellow and lose their leaves as they enter the dormant stage for winter.

3. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Althea is a very hardy plant. You can leave it outside in winter without any problem.

Yellow leaves in fall are normal.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My answer was considering "Rose of Sharon" as Hibiscus syriacus (aka as Althea)

6. Sorry, I was not more clear on the name, but Andre is correct, my plant is a hibiscus syriacus. It's been healthy all summer, very green, bloomed all summer and into Aug. around Oct. I noticed the the leaves were starting to turn yellow. Someone told me I need to bring I hibiscus in during the winter, so I brought the plant inside. The leaves continue to yellow (and fall off). I was alarmed because its been very healthy and I've taken very good care of it since I bought it this summer (this is my first time owning this type of plant). I looked up more information and read that yellowing leaves is a sign of spider mites. I was very dismayed, but then read that my particular type of hisbiscus (rose of Sharon) is hardy and doesn't usually get pests. I'm still a bit weary (and very confused so I decided to post this message on the board). Thank you.

7. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

Our Hybiscus syriacus is perfectly hardy in Raleigh, NC. It is now 30 years old, blooms profusely every year, leaves turn bright yellow in fall and then drop. It receives no special treatment and is growing in the ugliest clay you can imagine. It gets sun until about 3pm and then is partially shaded.

This plant is a survivor. Don't fret about it.