Shade cloth/netting

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by anyark, Jan 30, 2006.

1. anyark

anyark Member

Hi, I'm new here and got on to help my daughter. (Of course, I might need some help this summer, too!) They need some kind of shade cloth or netting to protect their gardens from the sun and I don't know what to search for. They live in the mountains of SW New Mexico, the elevation of which is a bit over 6000 ft. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

thanx, anyark

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Shade cloth is used in greenhouses, you might search for greenhouse supplies. If it is a common problem there, local nurseries or shops may carry it.

3. anyark

anyark Member

Thanx, Eric...that's good to know. They live outside a small town and hope to find it less expensive on the web - or hope that I find it less expensive...LOL

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

you will normally find different shading levels as well. I think 60% is most common. around here the greenhouse suppy dealers sell the product to end users. if its a greenhouse application there are also whitewash type products that may work.

5. anyark

anyark Member

Thanx. No, they have made a large garden area with veggies and herbs and want to protect it all from the summer sun up in the mountains. Appreciate the response.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

7. anyark

anyark Member

Thanx; I found it on their site, and I'll pass the info on to her. I sure lucked out finding this board; y'all are great!

8. Michael1

Michael1 Member

1-855-375-5021 is a number for a company in Vancouver who sells agricultural textiles, they rep the Lumite products.