What are those 2 Orchids?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Sandra75, May 2, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I got those 2 Orchids. Anyone knows the identification of those?

Attached Files:

2. Cathy Orchid

Cathy Orchid Member

Your plants are both Phalaenopsis orchids. They are both different hybrids.

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Yup. They're grown in huge numbers in Florida and are pretty cheap (a little one in flower $5, bigger one with 3 inflorescences $15 at last week's orchid show.

4. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thank you!

5. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Does the white one need repotting? If so, can i put it in any plastic pot, or it needs to be a clear plastic pot??
    Also:
    -when can I repot her?
    -what to do with the roots sticking out?
    -what purpose those roots roots have?

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

First of all, since Phals are epiphytic, the pot itself doesn't matter as much as the stuff the orchid is actually growing in. Look for "orchid mix" which is treated bark chips, perlite, small stones, and some other stuff I can't immediately recall when it comes time to repot. This said, whatever you put the orchid in should have drainage holes in the bottom to let the water run through.

I'd wait to repot until the bloom spikes are spent.

Those rooty-looking things are holdfasts or air-roots; they're either there to hold the orchid onto its perch or to absorb moisture and nutrients from the environment. I'd lean towards the latter, just due to the size. Personally, I'd leave 'em be. The fact that they're poking out on the white one is a sign that the plant is healthy and growing.

There's my two cents. Phals and Cattleyas are the only two common orchid species I've had consistent success with, and I've found that they're pretty tough little critters.

7. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Cool!! Thanks you for the info. If/when I re-pot, can I use any post or a clear one?

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Any pot, so long as it has drainage holes. If you like the look of clear, then go for it! Or, if you want to be daring, you can also try growing them in large-bore holes in a natural log. (if you're interested in doing this, ask me how.)

9. jaded928

jaded928 Member

Hi,

You have two lovely phals. Regarding the types of pots to repot in, I have several orchids (some of the most difficult kinds) and have always had tremendous success with the glazed clay pots WITH THE SIDE HOLES. They're anywhere from $8-$15 for the smaller 4" inch ones you'd need and you can find them at any Home Depot, Armstrongs, or online. They're substantial so no matter how big your plant gets, it won't tip over. Plus they come with built in saucers to collect the water/provide a bit of humidity which orchids love. I've found the plastic ones finicky and the terracotta ones just don't work for me. Side holes are the way to go! Best of luck!