Taxonomy Question

Discussion in 'Maples' started by nobody, Jan 15, 2006.

1. nobody

nobody Member Maple Society

I have a question on the taxonomy of a tree that I purchased in 1995. The name the tree was purchased under was 'AO SHIME NO UCHI'. One of the first books that I bought was 'MAPLES OF THE WORLD' by D.M. van GELDREN, et al. IN this book the tree wass directed to 'SHINOBUGA OKA', which the tree lived under for years. I have recently started to compie a list of descriptions for my colection of maples. This has caused many problems as to what the name is. Four books listed beow say 'SHINOBUGA OKA' is listed under subspecies PALMATUM. The latest book that was purchased was 'BOOK FOR MAPLES' by MASAYOSHI YANO. This book lists the tree as 'SHIME NO UCHI', subspecies AMOENUM. The picture shown is very close to what the tree is. The following is a list of referances that I have used to confuse me. I will attach a picture of the tree taken in October 2005 shortly. Any help would be greatly appreciated and hope this is the proper format for citing referances.

MAPLES OF THE WORLD, D.M.van GELDREN, P.C. dE JONG, H.J. OTERDOOM; 1994
    Pg 99, TAXONOMIC SYNOPSIS (FOR PALMATUM & AMOENUM).
    Pg 117 - 119, DESCRIPTION OF SUBSPECIES PALMATUM.
    Pg 116, DESCRIPTION OF SUBSPECIES AMOENUM.
    PG 271, GROUP 5a DESCRIPTION.
    Pg 272, 'AKA SHIME NO UCHI'. RED TYPE AND IN GROUP 5b
    Pg 273, 'AO SHIME NO UCHI'.
    Pg 289, 'LINEARIOBUM'.
    Pg 300, 'SHIME NO UCHI'.
    Pg 300 - 301, 'SHINOBUGA OKA'
    --------------------------------------
    MAPLES FOR GARDENS, C.J. van GELDREN & D.M. van GELDREN; 1999
    Pg 98, 'AKA SHIME NO UCHI'. RED TYPE AND IN GROUP 5b
    Pg 100, 'AO MESHIME NO UCHI'. See picture on this page.
    Pg 184, 'SHINOBU GA OKA'. See picture on this page.
    JAPANESE MAPLES, SECOND EDITION, J.D.VERTREES; 1978
    Pg 12, PICTURE OF THE SPECIES LEAVES
    Pg 98, 'SHIME NO UCHI'. Red type. See picture on this page.
    Pg 99, 'SHINOBUGA OKA'. See picture on this page.
    JAPANESE MAPLES, THIRD EDITION, J.D. VERTREES, REVISED, PETER GREGORY; 2001
    Pg 210, 'SHIME-NO-UCHI'. Red type. See picture on this page.
    Pg 211, 'SHINOBUGA OKA'. See picture on this page.
    -------------------------------------
    BOOK FOR MAPLES, MASAYOSHI YANO; 2003
    Pg 274, ACER AMOENUM 'SHIME(N) NO UCHI', mispelled per errata. Notice ssp.amoenum. See picture on this page. Very close to spring color.
    pg 277, ACER AMOENUM 'SHINOBU GA OKA', Red type. See picture on this page. Notice ssp. amoenum.

2. nobody

Taxonomy question again

Sorry about the picture. I had to crop it again.

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Excellent job doing your research. As with much taxonomy, that of the Acer palmatum linearlobum varieities is quite confusing and it becomes a matter of what degree we separate the leaf shapes, leaf shapes at different stages, tendency to produce atypical palmate foliage, etc.

The there is a distinction between Shinobuga oka and Shime no uchi. That is a leaf form/ shape distinction as they have similar growth habits. There is also a distinction between Ao shime no uchi and Shime no uchi but you can call them froms of the same variety. 'Ao' means GREEN. That should help you a great deal.

So, Ao shime no uchi should be the more green or all green form of Shime no uchi and Shime no uchi, as some of the book authors indicated is a red form. Not red in that is will be predominantly red all of the time, but the leaf will have red in it at certain times of the year.

You might also read this thread to assist in your ID.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10504&highlight=shime+uchi

How old is that plant? When was it last repotted, rootpruned? To have a linearlobum as a bonsai can make for a difficult ID as the effects of its culture and have dramatic effects on its leaf size and shape.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  4. nobody

Sorry for the delay in replying. I researched the link that you sent. This tree is definetly not a red type. It has been constently green since I bought it in 1995. At that time they said the tree was about 2 years old. The tree was repotted two years ago and is scheduled for a drastic cut in the spring. I do not keep the trees in "show shape" all the time. They are allowed to grow out and then are cut back. As to the size of the leaf I do not see a major difference unless they were reduced on purpose. The linearilobums are not reduced.

The color of the tree is as shown except the spring color is a lighter green. The fall color is a yellow-orange.

5. mjh1676

Any chance you can elaborate on the source of the tree?

As for the SIZE, it would be more accurate if we focus on leaf shape. If you look at the photo that is posted you will see two very distinct leaf forms. I will classify the effect as different leaf forms as they are mature leaves and thereby they are not appearingly in active growth.

If you look at the leaves on the top of the plant and the ones on the outside of the plant you will see a more palmate leaf. Actually, some of the leaves are quite distant from a linearlobum leaf. In the interior of the tree, especially near the middle and bottom, you will see the more linear, narrow lobed, leaves. What I assume from this is that the younger the wood, the greater the likelihood of a plamate leaf. This can also be a result of the time of year the leaf was produced. Spring growth might be palmate and summer growth more linear or the other way around.

In figuring out what tree this might be will reqire that you provide the leaf form or type transitions and any other details about color that you might know. Are you sure there is never any red in the tree spring or fall. Sometimes predominantly yellow-orange leaves can show red flecking in the fall? Sometimes we do not see the same color in ever year.

If you are not sure of these things and really want to know what the tree might be, you might be best not to whack it back and let it go for one more season. Any repotting and severe cutting will likely set back your positive ID of this plant for a couple of years. It is seems to be showing some ideal or normal gowth characteristics now.

If you are up for it, please continue to provide whatever deails you have in the study of this plant. More PICTURES??

6. nobody

I bought the tree at a convention in Pennsylvania in 1995. If my memory serves me right most of the vendors were from around Ohio and Pennsylvania. I can't remember the vendor. At that time I thought maples only had one name.

Just looked at the root ball, I may be able to get away not repotting this year and letting it won't hurt. Will have to keep an eye on it. will attach a photo from April 2003. Yes it does look like the one already posted. Over the weekend I wil try to find more pictures, especially the first flush. It is bright green. The only Pinkish color is on the seeds, very similar to the picture in 'Maples for gardens' page 184.

Attached Files:

7. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Why is this thread still in the Plant Names and Taxonomy
    forum and not firmly placed in the Maple forum? There
    are at least three issues involved here: (1) we can see
    a travesty with the spellings of these Maples, (2) we
    do indeed have a classification issue and (3) we have
    a what is the right name based on its identity for this
    Maple issue.

The common name spellings is the one subject it is
    best that I do not comment too much on as all I have
    to ask is what were the common names of the Maples
    as cited above when they came in from Japan and kick
    back with an incredulous smirk and see if any of you
    knows that answer without guessing.

Are Ao shime no uchi and Shime no uchi the same
    plant?

The classification issue for the linearilobums, their
    forms and varieties requires the taxonomist to know
    how these plants in the linearilobum/scolopendrifiolium
    group differ from one another in a growing season.
    This will be tough as the educational and scientific
    types have to either have been around these plants
    for a while or were in constant contact with someone
    that has grown these Maples for a long while to better
    understand how they differ. We do have some unique
    variables for leaf shapes at work with these Maples
    for us to play with. The books are not going to help
    much herein as to be in the ballpark now we have to
    have some applied knowledge of these plants.

The only question I have and it will apply as we better
    learn these plants in this group series is what do we call
    the scolopendrifolium type Maples having 7 or 9 lobes
    instead of 5 lobes? What name for classification purposes
    do we call them as we will see Maples in this series with
    mostly 5 lobes but have some leaves with 7 lobes, a Maple
    or two that have 7 lobes but can have some lobes in 9's
    and then there is a Maple that has mainly 9 lobes but can
    have some 7's.

We cannot classify this Maple yet until we know what
    its typical physical characteristics and coloration in a
    growing season are and where did it come from. We
    have to either know this Maple right off or start with
    the assumption that we do not know it and build on
    what we do know.

Jim

8. mjh1676

As well as the color changes of this maple, it will be important that we know how the leaves develop in shape. When we address the linearlobum varieties, it seems the very few will be true linearlobum.

Leaves on these plants can take on all sorts of growth states and cycles. There can be atypical leaves of both palmate and large-lobe linear type. Leaves can start out oversized and atypical and size down in the growing season and they can also show opposit tendencies. Addtionaly, growth under stress becomes important as we would like to know what kind of leaf this plat will throw out. We will also want to know what growth on new vigorous chutes will look like so that we can have yet another tool to dissect this bunch. The leaves at the top of this mystery plant, being more palmate, are equally as important as the "normal" linear leaves in the middle and the lower part of the plant.

I think this point is quite useful for us, so I dug around in my photo archives and dug up three different linearlobums that I grow. I will only say that the first plant is Koto no ito. The other two, while they have names, are not named correctly. The last plant is VERY young and I only show it to illiustrate the leaf-shape differences.

I would second Jim to see this thread moved back in to the maple fourm where it belongs.

Attached Files:

9. nobody

mr. shep. I took time to look up your reference to 'Linearilobum/Scolopendrifiolum' group. Could not find any reference to that group as stated. I did find references to the 'Linearilobum' group. If it is possible please direct me to where I can find this information.

As to your ...."assumption that we do not know it and build on what we do know", it sounds like a god idea.

mjh1676. As you say there are many things that effect the growth of plants. The simple fact of the west coast verses the east coast with our sometimes severe cold weather. I will confuse the issue a little more. To my untrained eye I have noticed the leaf shape of all three supspecies during the course of a year.

All the points that have been brought out are extremely valid. Where do I go from here. Is there an 'authority' that sets the rules? A set of procedure that has to be followed? A registery format that should be followed? I am not schooled in horticulture or am I a nursery person. I only try to grow little trees. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

10. mjh1676

Rethinking things.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  11. mjh1676

Nobody (can I call you something else?),

You are on the right track. Unfortunately the information you seek, a key of sorts, does not exist. The mainstream of modern maple texts and references have never taken this approach. To even consider this sort of idea, one would have to be familiar with all of the plants in a give group and grow them side by side or be in close enough proximity to someone growing them to view them in all growth phases and seasons. For this reason, it has been impractical for a book author to try to differientiate a group like the green linearlobums when it is much easier to lump them. How could anyone ever publish a text if they were trying to make a linearlobum identification key? What might be of great value someday is a maple text devoted just to the one group. Maybe a boxed set--we could then get into the nuts and bolts of things. What we have now is simply descriptions and photos--one snapshot of a tree in a book with a marginal description. It is hard to get very far. In the very old Japanese texts I get the impression that a taxonomy key might have been used to identify some maples within groups, but where one would find that sort of thing or if it exists for linearlobums, I cannot say.

I think we would all be more successful with our maples if we could begin with the assumption that we do not know, throw away the name tag, and study the plant. As you can see by the lack of response to this thread, we are WAY out there. I myself am a collector and will be honest, I had little more idea than you about your plant to start this journey. But with some study, we are beginning to see what it is not. Take Jim's advice and look in the 2nd edition. There you will quickly be able to exclude Ao shime no uchi and Shinobuga oka.

What I think is happening is that the predominance of palmate shaped leaves is distracting from the parentage of the tree. Take some time to look at the linear-lobed leaves near the back middle of the tree and then try to match those with a known variety. The second edition will help you here also. What people don't realize is that this excerise can help us to know the entire group of plants even though we are trying to identify one tree. I have been looking at the books and the online galleries, and in doing so, will better be prepared to recognize these trees when I see them. It is not a matter of having the answer as much as it is knowing the pieces of the puzzle. Which plants have what shaped leaves when, how are the lobes held, what is the shape of the lobes, seasonal colors, petiole color, bark color. I try to help you in hopes of helping myself. It is very possible one of the plants I pictured above is very similar to your tree. It is young now, but I hope that I am preparing myself to know it later.

I know it all sounds too serious to be about "a tree", but then again, it is as important to know the tree as it is to know the name. What business do people have introducing new varities when they have no idea what separates the old. If we mix them up, can we separate them back out? The point here is that it is great you want to find out about your plant, and that you have done so much research to start. While I am now certain it is important to see what it looks like in the spring, I am also interested to see how it responds when you cut it back and repot it. For its current state in that pot, it has far too many palmate leaves. Do you give it much nitrogen? it doesn't look like nitrogen-rich growth, but I have to ask.

Do these pictures remind you of the tree at all in the spring?

Attached Files:

12. mr.shep

I took time to look up your reference to 'Linearilobum/
    Scolopendrifiolum' group. Could not find any reference
    to that group as stated. I did find references to the
    'Linearilobum' group. If it is possible please direct me
    to where I can find this information.

Since you referenced the Vertrees second edition Japanese
    Maples
    book I am assuming you have it. If you look on
    page 97 you will see a photo of 'Scolopendrifolium'. Look
    at the leaves closely and notice the cup shape to the
    lobes. So what, someone may say, other linearilobums
    have cupped shaped leaves? Yes, that is true but not all
    of their leaves have the cupped shaped lobes, whereas
    in 'Scolopendrifolium' all the lobes are cupped shaped.
    Then notice how the smaller lobes are shaped and then
    look at the tips of all the lobes. See how the lobes start
    out from the palm (center) of the leaf and then notice
    about 2/3 the distance of the length of the lobe and
    what do you see? You see a noticeable slendering in the
    width of the lobe. That slendering alone makes this form
    different from all the rest of the linearilobums. Another
    thing worthy of mentioning with the lobes is that the tips
    of the lobes generally do not ever nod but instead the
    tips are held out and in many cases will be held erect
    in contrast to most of the linearilobums. The lobes
    themselves never nod as well in comparison. There
    are two forms of the green leafed 'Scolopendrifolium'
    that I know of.

Aside from this plant being a cultivar this Maple was
    considered in Japan to be a variety by some people.
    I learned scolopendrifolium to be a variety as there
    is more than one plant in the group and can be written
    out linearilobum var. scolopendrifolium or just
    scolopendrifolium. For years people have lumped
    the linearilobums and the scolopendrifoliums in
    together to separate them out as a grouping like
    we do with the dissectums, the dwarfs and the
    deeply divideds from the palmate leaf group.
    The lumping of the linearilobum/scolopendrifolium
    group had precedence in Japan and Mr. Vertrees
    used that same basic grouping in his book.

Jim

13. mr.shep

The confusion started from the moment you
    bought this plant. What I appreciate is that
    you've spent some time wondering what this
    Maple is when so many other people just do
    not seem to care about what Maples they have
    and let the name tag or the person that sold them
    the plant be the resident Maple expert for them.
    Part of the reason why mjh has shown interest
    in your Maple is because he may have the same
    Maple as yours but his plant is younger than yours
    is, so he needs to see the similarities in your plant
    versus his to better know if his plant is right for the
    name that he purchased it as being. When we add
    into the mix forms of Maples and include recently
    named seedlings we are up against it as then we have
    to rely on what the original plant that came in from
    Japan looks like even when that plant is no longer
    being sold or is sold by the wrong name. The latter
    may apply to your Maple. So my main question
    for you is what do you really want from all of this.
    Do you want a clarification on the classification
    of the linear lobed and scolopendrifolium Maples
    or do you really want to know what Maple you
    have?

To make this thread educational we need to cover
    both elements and apply the why to what your Maple
    is in comparison to others. The beginnings of the
    why can start with this quick question. When you
    look on page 99 of the Vertrees second edition
    book and see 'Shinobuga oka', do you see red petioles
    on your Maple and if the answer is yes, then when
    do you see them, at what stages of the growing season
    are the petioles red in color? I know the original plant
    that came in from Japan as 'Shinobuga oka' so I have
    an advantage that others simply do not have. I also
    know who owned the plant as pictured on page 99
    and yes, what we see just in that one glimpse in
    time with that photo does give a reasonable account
    of how that Maple will look like in mid to late
    Spring and to an extent even early to mid Summer
    when grown in certain areas. The photo depicts
    what I should see when I go up to Oregon and look
    in a nursery and I have seen this Maple for sale in
    a couple of Oregon nurseries but only a couple.
    There are other nurseries that claim to have this
    Maple for sale but it is not that plant.

I understand better than most why you have had
    a few problems with your Maple but to solve the
    mystery will require input from you on your Maple,
    what you know of it so we can help others along the
    way that have an interest in learning Maples, even
    helping others that have shown they do not deserve
    to know this stuff yet, as it will mean nothing to
    some of them, as they will continue on collecting
    and selling Maples wrongly named no matter what.
    It is your choice where we go with this thread and
    some of the controversial issues therein. Do you
    want to make this thread educational or would you
    prefer just to have me send you a private message
    and tell you what your Maple is?

Should we get into botanical terms I would indeed
    appreciate others that know the correct terms to
    come in and tell us. When we get into cupped
    shaped leaves, my simple terms that we used in
    the nursery may not help much when the correct
    term may be, for example, recurved leaves instead.
    The scolo part of scolopendrifolium equation may
    be tougher for us to deal with as a part of me wants
    to think that scolo is a shortened term for a longer
    word but I cannot be sure of that.

Jim

14. mr.shep

The problem I have with your Maple is that for a
    bonsai plant the leaves are too large. This is what
    has me a little confused as for the Maple you have
    the leaves should scale down in size as the plant
    gets older in years. With you having this Maple
    for 10 years in comparison to other bonsai plants
    I've seen of your Maple it makes me think your
    plant is a seedling selection of the Maple I know.

The palmatum versus amoenum issue can be explained
    but there is some controversy that will develop as
    the Europeans and some others have a different view
    on this than some of the old guard Japanese had. The
    problem area is that people choose to cite Koidzumi
    when it is convenient for them, yet do not know what
    all is written in his book and the later accompanying
    manuscript for a journal article all because they have
    never seen a copy of either. People have been using
    someone else's research of this book since the day it
    was first translated into English from the old kanji
    whereby some of the symbols could not be interpreted,
    even by University professors in Japan. The dilemma
    is that a second person account may indeed differ in
    the translation than a translation will that was done
    by committee. What we see more often than not is
    the committee interpretation that Universities here
    and elsewhere have been using since the late 50's.
    Koidzumi did lay out some of the classification
    for us but we do not see the entire classification
    shown in our books but in one book in particular
    we see a wishful thinking used instead to lump
    certain Maples into a specific group but that
    grouping was not spelled out in writing by
    Koidzumi.

The term palmatipartitum for classification purposes
    applies to the linearilobums that produce palmate
    and some that produce deeply divided leaves also
    along with the linear lobes. The palmate leaves
    might be seen as the first flush of new growth in
    the Spring and with the next flush of new growth
    produce linear lobed leaves. Some Maples can
    throw out both palmate shaped leaves and linear
    lobed leaves in their Spring growth and also in
    the late Spring and Summer growth.

I am just trying to give a general idea here as
    when we get into cultivars we can break this
    down by which lineariloums produce the palmate
    shaped leaves and when they produce them.
    Some linear lobed Maples do not produce
    palmate shaped leaves at any time of the
    growing season and technically these would
    be classed differently. To answer your basic
    question of are the linearilobums an Acer
    palmatum
    or an Acer amoenum, they are
    Acer amoenum with an asterisk, referring to
    palmatipartitum, as the majority of the linear
    lobed Maples produce a palmate shaped leaf
    or a series of palmate shaped leaves during
    the growing season. This is not to be confused
    with the enlarged or vigorous linear lobed
    leaves we can see with some of the other
    linear lobed Maples. There is big difference
    in what is a palmate shaped leaf and what
    is a vigorous linear lobed leaf but the tougher
    aspect to know is the difference between a
    deeply divided (palmate) leaf and the
    vigorous linear lobed leaf and this also will
    determine if the Maple is a palmatipartitum
    or if the Maple is a straight linearilobum
    instead.

Let me get you this far before I take it to
    the next level as the whole linearilobum
    group can be broken down into a fourth
    classification along with scolopendrifolium.
    There is actually a fifth classification that
    came under consideration years ago that
    can also apply so it depends on who really
    wants what when we break these plants
    down into their respective classes but we
    can do it based on when a linear lobed
    Maple does what with the leaves as all
    we need to know are leaf shapes and leaf
    sizes for the classifications or varieities
    or sub-groupings in linearilobum to have
    all of this come together for us. Some
    people will balk at these because they
    have not spent oodles of time studying
    the growth habits of these Maples. This
    is where it becomes imperative to know
    the correct name of the Maple we are
    researching and we will have some
    disagreement here even though there should
    not be much of any if we know who received
    the original plants when they came in from
    Japan. If we know of the correct sourcing of
    these plants there should not be much
    disagreement on what is going on with the
    Maple as it grows but we can “split hairs”
    later on what to do for these plants in order
    to class them based on their leaf characteristics.
    Now we are into the acquired and the applied
    knowledge of the plant itself and how it compares
    to other similar linear lobed Maples.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  15. nobody

The reason for the lack of response is that everyone is asking the same question. But they would like an instant answer. I did look at the 2nd edition and it says 'ao shimeno uchi' is a synonym of 'shinobuga oka'. But on page 98, 'shime no uchi' is the red type. Now to add to the confusion. 'Book for Maples', page 274 says 'shime no uchi' is green and page 274 says 'shinobuga oka' is red. Both trees are listed ssp. amnoeum.

My tree spent a majority of the summer undershade. This year the fertiizer was a light miracle grow mix of one tablespoon to a gallon of water. The picture on the right (imf 2116_1_1.jpg is close, but I am not sure. If you look at the picture on page 274 you will see a very close spring color. I am looking for the earlier pictures of this tree. When there found I will show them.

I buy maples and other trees by how they are described in the books and catalogs. It is frustrating to send for a tree and have something else show up. Especially since it takes a year or so to find out. Not all trees the authors describe are suitabe for bonsai even though they are slow growing or dwarf.

What do I really want to know? What is the name of the tree? What is its growth habit? What is its spring color? What is the fall color? Will it make a good bonsai? Where can I get another one? I have almost a hundred maple questions. Do I want clarification on the classifications? of course.

I would like this thread and many others threads to be educational. The more I can learn the better prepared I should be. I am going to look into the suggestions that have been made to see if I can logically track this years growth.

Tom

16. nobody

I just saw post #14. Will need time to digest it.
    Tom

17. mr.shep

Tom, you are not part of the controversy. What
    you've done so far is address an issue you've had
    with your Maple that has other implications that
    involve both the past and the present in Maples.
    None of the spelling problems are your fault,
    some of those spellings were done by design
    to encourage people to think that some of the
    Maples are more than one plant and hope that
    people that bought each of the spelled names
    would not know they are supposed to be the
    same plant. The classification of where the
    linearilobum group stands such as palmatum
    and amoenum has been in doubt for a while
    with some people. Okay, that can be dealt
    with as they are all amoenum, even the few
    cascading forms of the linearilobums as well.

The differences of these plants from web site
    photos and photos from the books that we see
    do not match up in many cases for the name
    of Maple that others are calling it. When we
    see a photo in the book of a Maple or in a
    well known web site it almost requires us to
    know when the photo was taken, at what stage
    of growth and development was the Maple
    depicted. The time element should be pointed
    out to us. That way when we see a green Maple
    with red leaves or red in the leaves then we do
    not have some backtracking to do in order to
    know can this Maple turn red like that or does
    this Maple turn those colors in the Fall only?
    Book authors do not tell us this stuff so we
    have to learn to know the Maple and when
    it does what, so by that photo we see we can
    know when the Maple was captured either
    on film for the books or through digital means
    for web sites.

What I wrote about palmatipartitum was to show
    how it applies to the linear lobed Maples. What
    we have in the groups is: (1) a majority of the
    linear lobed Maples produce a palmate leaf at
    some time during the growing season, some
    Maples will throw out a deeply divided leaf
    instead or palmate shaped leaves also that
    are considered to be palmatipartitum as well.
    (2) some of the linear lobed Maples will
    produce enlarged and vigorous linear lobed
    leaves at some time during the growing season.
    (3) some of the linear lobed Maples only
    produce slightly larger, not vigorous linear
    lobed leaves, in the Spring than what their
    normal growth will be during a growing
    season. (4) some of the linear lobed Maples
    are considered to be the scolopendrifoliums
    and (5) at one time there was thought that
    the old ribbonleaf plants with standard sized
    petioles as opposed to the ribbonleafs with
    the super short petioles such as ‘Koshimino’
    and ‘Hagoromo’ and their respective forms,
    which are unusual feature Maples instead
    (now some of those forms of ‘Koshimino’
    and ‘Hagoromo’ have been recently named
    and are not ribbonleafs and never were as
    I used these as examples only in concert
    with their super short petioles), were also
    a linear lobed Maple. So there are the five
    groups that I referenced yesterday.

The taxonomists and the botanists can figure
    out what to do with the groups but it will
    require them to know which Maples do what
    in a growing season and when do they make
    their leaf changes. As we can tell from the
    books alone people just do not know what
    these plants do in a growing season so the
    people above will need some help to sort
    out a means of a method to classify these
    plants. I learned all of the non vigorous leaf
    producing, usually in just the early Spring
    growth but some of these Maples can
    produce the enlarged leaves throughout
    the growing season, linear lobed Maples
    are varieties of the straight, as we called
    it, linearilobum Maples. Thus, we can
    have linearilobum var. scolopendrifolium
    and linearilobum var. palmatipartitum as
    they were indeed suggested by people in
    the past that knew these Maples, knew
    how they were different and also knew
    when they were different from the rest
    of the Maples in the five groups.

None of that written yesterday and this
    above concerns you, as this and that is
    for the higher ups to give them a heads
    up.

What does concern you is that palmatipartitum
    applies to your Maple by virtue of the shapes
    of the leaves we see on your plant. I asked
    a question for others to chime in on as that
    question has pertinence here. Are ‘Ao shime
    no uchi’ and ‘Shime no uchi’ the same plant
    and if not how are they different from each
    other? There was a form of ‘Ao shime no uchi’
    that later became named ‘Ao meshime no uchi’,
    how do these Maples differ from one another?

Back to your Maple, your plant is known whether
    it is a seedling or not to exist in at least five other
    forms. All but one of the forms have one thing
    in common in that there is a high percentage of
    palmate shaped leaves produced in the Spring.
    Two of the forms will produce palmate leaves
    in the Spring and for the rest of the year will not
    produce any more palmate shaped leaves, one
    form will produce palmate shaped leaves in the
    Spring, have the new flush of new growth be
    linear lobed and from then on not produce any
    more palmate shaped leaves until the late Summer
    growth. One of the forms will produce palmate
    shaped leaves in the Spring and later on can
    produce palmate shaped leaves along with the
    linear lobed leaves almost throughout the entire
    growing season. This is the form of this Maple
    that originally came in from Japan. This is also
    the form that is closest to your Maple. If you
    were to look at various web sites you can see
    examples of all of the forms of this Maple
    including the form that was selected out in
    Oregon that produced enlarged or vigorous
    linear lobed leaves in the Spring and then
    produces for the rest of the year the smaller,
    scaled down in size linear lobed leaves until
    the late Summer growth when some of the
    leaves may be the enlarged linear lobed
    shaped leaves again. Some areas do not
    see the second round of vigorous leaves in
    late Summer on this Maple as cooler areas
    do not have as long a growing season as us
    or have as warm a late Summer/early Fall
    as we have when our Fall can in many years
    last longer in days than our Winters do here.
    The clue I've given you is that your Maple
    exists as one of five forms. The other forms
    of this Maple including the Oregon form
    (group 2 from earlier above) have in recent
    years been named in Japan.

All you ever needed was someone to point
    you in the right direction. With a little time
    doing homework you can figure out what
    your Maple is online without my having
    to come right out and tell you the name of
    it.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  18. nobody

With this last post the lights finally went on. You were speaking of Vertrees groups and I was hearing van Gelderns groups. Time to start at the top and read everything all over again using the right book. I will let you know how I make out in a couple of days.