Small, fast moving, white, caterpillar-like bugs in my pot. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by AlexandraNS, May 18, 2008.

1. AlexandraNS

AlexandraNS Active Member

First of all I am sorry I am posting this here but I didnt know which would be the most suitable forum to post a problem like that.
    Ok, in my Aloe pot, I noticed a lot of small, fast moving, white, caterpillar-like bugs. They look like white worms but I think they have lots of legs (they are actually too small to tell but Im like 99% sure they have legs) and they move like millipedes. Now, I read a lot about it. Some suggest they are fungus gnat larvae which are fatal, (I pray thats not what I have in my baby Aloe) and some suggest they are Symphylans. Which is supposedly not SO deadly but they can nibble on plant roots and cause problems in growth and so on. I am guessing it might be the Symphylans since my Aloe grows PAINFULLY slow (but maybe that is just a coincidence)

Whichever it is though, or whatever else it may be and you good people have suggestions, I would very much appreciate it if someone told me what to do to kill them? Thank you!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to garden pest management and ID)