Please suggest table grape varieties for Zone 5

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Ottawa-Zone5, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I am in Zone 5 (ottawa, Ontario) and would appreciate suggestions for good growing grape varieties for green, red and dark colour types for growing in our backyard in good sun.
    Whenever my wife sees grape vine growing from the use of compost, she wants me to keep it and let it grow. So I suggested the we should try real known varieties that can be fruitful in our area.
    The next step will be to procure plants (or cuttings). Suggestions for supplier will be very welcome. Thanks.

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Vanessa, Canadice, Einset, Somerset- Red Seedless
    Lakemont, Interlaken, Himrod, Marquis- Green Seedless
    Coronation, Mars, Venus, Glenora- Blue Black seedless

Cheers

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Thanks. The`search begins, one from each colour.

4. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

I have had spectacular success with Reliance grape.... I had planted it last year and fertilised it with a lot of chicken manure. This year it has put out more than 50 clusters of grapes.... Growers on the net have indicated it is a very sweet table grape, very early (so perfectly suited to the brief growing season and it was the first grape in my garden to get started), seedless red berries reliable crops every year...

Amongst all the ones I have planted this is the one that has performed the best...

They haven't ripened yet but the plant exhibits amazing growth...

Cheers and Good luck

G1

5. Ottawa-Zone5

Gardener1
    Good to hear about your success with "Reliance" grape vine. With name like "Reliance" it has to be reliable. I planted another fruit with the same name "Reliance Peach" last year. It is supposed to be the most cold hardy peach. We shall see in a couple of years how reliable it is when it reaches fruiting age.
    Do you (or anyone else reading this) know of any mail order suppliers for "Reliance", "Interlaken" and "Vanessa" grape vines or cuttings? Thanks.

6. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

7. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

Hi there,
    I had purchased mine from David hunter garden centre, If you google it, there is a good website and you could if you wish talk to them to see if they can ship you a plant....

G1