Identification: ID this one?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by aplsaws, Oct 21, 2010.

1. aplsaws

aplsaws Member

I found this growing in a urban park which is being reverted to Black Oak Savana, situated on the North side of an arena, adjacent to several large oak, it possibly is coming up from the root mass of a stumped oak. As you can see it is growing up through the grass, the soil there is pretty sandy. There was a fairly long hot dry spell before this appeared.
    It might be a large size jpg, if it is I apologize!

Attached Files:

2. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

This looks like an amazing flush of chicken of the woods! But I've only seen what I believed to be chicken of the woods once in the wild, so I'll defer to the local experts for a definitive ID :).

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It's definitely chicken of the woods, Laetiporus sulphureus. See mushroomexpert.com for a good description.

4. aplsaws

aplsaws Member

Thank you for the info, someone I showed the photo to had mentioned it might be, but I had never heard of it and definitely had never seen anything like it, at one point after spotting it there were 5 or 6 of standing around gawking!
    Any other comments about the species?..I will check up it ...mushroomexpert.com!

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I'd pay $10 for that mushroom!

6. aplsaws

aplsaws Member

is it good for a chicken of the woods parmigiana?

7. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I've never met one I didn't like. I generally suggest substituting for chicken in any dish. Note that the tough core might be best added to a soup for flavor, not cooked up in a delicate dish. Experiment and let us know!