shiso (perilla frutescens) ao-shiso

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by ari, Aug 10, 2006.

1. ari

ari Member

iafter living in california for most of my life before moving to israel 7 years ago, it never occurred to me that something as easily obtainable a sgreen shiso would be so difficult ot obtain in israel.
    the common myth here is, it is IMPOSSIBLE t grow shiso in israel. there are many jpnese restaurants here (all terrible but that is off the subject) and all of them bitterly lamented to me for past 7 years about impossibility to grow shiso in isreal.
    well, i ordered seeds from u.k. sourse and although to be fair, it took me almost a year, countless re-orders of seeds, experiments, etc. to successfully germinate these seeds.
    to make a long story slightly less long, after i heated the soil using a "shabbas heating plate" (finally a good use) to between 30=40C with the seeds uncovered on moist, rich, soil or medium, i successfully germinated and grew to healthy maturity 80% of the seedlings from the original seed count.
    as far as i know i am the first person to be able to grow ao-shiso successfully in isreal,m i did not feel it was that dificult, making certain orchids flower again successive years is much more difficult, anyway i digress.
    my question is, although i know that perilla (ao and ako) is apparently an annual, i know that chile pepers are also supposed to be an annual, and i have chilis (jalapeno and serrano) that i have kept alive overwinter and then they grew back and are continuing to produce the quantity and quality of newly grown chilis.
    is this possible for green perilla? (ao-shiso_
    thanks!