Chives have lost all taste

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by candleberry, May 26, 2006.

1. candleberry

candleberry Member

My first post so I will try to anticipate all questions.

Last spring (maybe it was the spring before) I divided several large clumps of chives into about 40-50 plants. They were were filled with grasses and a real mess. I cleaned each bulb and planted in clumps of 12.
    I use them as spring flowers but we graze now and then. This year they have no taste at all. They all produced lush growth and tons of flowers.

They are scattered in several areas and soil conditions. Best to worst (almost dust) conditions. Full sun to mostly shade. I have read that herbs taste best when they have to work for it and I really think I have that covered.

Now, the original plant was at least ten years old. Does that mean that the bulbs I kept are as old? Just worn out? As I said, they are very lush. Do they just need more time to reastablish?

I have forced several visiters to taste my chives so it's not just my taste buds.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Jen

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

could you post a picture of your chives in flower.

just checked my herb book, it says remove flowers for best flavour........divide every 3-4 years.
    it also says grow in rich soil.

hope that helps.

3. candleberry

candleberry Member

Here is a picture.

They use to taste best brfore flowering but now just no taste either way no matter what soil.

Not devistated, just curious as to why so I don't make the same mistake again.

Cheers
    Jen
    chives.jpg