Locating fruit fly eggs

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by FedUpFly, Nov 29, 2009.

1. FedUpFly

FedUpFly Member

Hello- I've read messages about how to set fruit fly traps, but is there any way to locate the eggs? For the past few weeks, I've had a few (about 5 or so) appear every few days in my kitchen, but this morning I woke up and there were about 15! They weren't swarming around anything specific- I would see them on my cabinets or walls. I don't have any uncovered fruit out so I have no idea where they're coming from!! I have wiped down the countertops with bleach but I know that won't help if I can't locate the source. I don't think they are coming from the drain because we use a pretty tight net thing to cover our drain, so it would be very difficult for them to come through that.

2. Buzzbee

Buzzbee Active Member

I sure hope someone replies to this that knows the answer. We also have a terrible problem with them. Not just in the kitchen, they are all over the house.
    Someone told me they come up the drains, but like you we keep ours closed tight.

Buzz

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try some balsam, apple cider, or white vinegar in a bowl with a piece of saran wrap over the top, then cut 1cm. slits in the saran wrap. The flies get attracted to the vinegar and then you can deal with them.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I think it would be best to deal with the adult flies rather than trying to track down the eggs. The eggs are so small that it would be nearly impossible to locate them. The adults on the other hand are easily trapped by lures such as apple cider vinegar. Add a couple of drops of dish washing liquid to the vinegar to reduce surface tension so that the flies will drown when they land on the mixture.

5. FedUpFly

FedUpFly Member

Hi Junglekeeper- but wouldn't I continue to have to deal with the adult flies over & over until I find the source?

6. Junglekeeper

No, because as you kill off the adults there'll be fewer and fewer new eggs laid and eventually the life cycle will have been broken. Unless of course a new supply of eggs is reintroduced with newly purchased fruit.

Alternatively, you might try to solve the problem by keeping fruit in the refrigerator, as much as possible, until it is ready to be eaten and emptying the kitchen garbage bin whenever flies are seen amongst the peels. I suspect they need to lay their eggs on fruit and therefore will not be able to reproduce without it. I have followed this approach and have not had a problem with fruit flies. The few adults that escape from the garbage have not posed a problem since they have no place to lay their eggs before disappearing.

Buzzbee,
    If they are all over the house you may be dealing with some other pest, perhaps fungus gnats from the soil in your potted houseplants.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  7. Junglekeeper

It turns out fruit is not the only thing fruit flies are attracted to. Have a look at this document for more information on this pest and how to deal with them.