Am I killing my Birch?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Sue S, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Sue S

Sue S Member

We had two trees delivered last weekend and planted them ourselves. One was a red sunset maple and one was a white spire birch. We dug both holes twice as wide and just as deep as the containers, filled holes with water, loosened root balls as much as we could and backfilled with original soil and mushroom compost mixture. The red sunset maple is doing beautifully! the birch's leaves have all turned yellow and are falling off at a rapid rate (almost all in the last 24 hours). We have been experiencing a very warm indian summer (80 and 90 degree days)so what I might chalk up to a little transplant shock and autumn change seems too simple. There are some leaves that seem dry and curled and make me think I haven't watered enough. But, it is located in a corner of the yard with very rich, moist soil.

The second part of my dilemma is, in the week since we planted it I am very concerned that it is too close to the lot line where a utility line and pole sit. They are the reason I planted the birch there and the guy from the nursery said he didn't think it was too close, but, after looking around town at mature birch's I really feel it is too close. Given the stress that it has already been put through do I dare transplant it now about ten feet from the original location?

Attached Files:

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Well, since you have planted this in the fall, the leaves are just turning yellow for the season. I have several birch trees and that is what they are doing. The leaves are turning yellow and dropping, some are still green but the trees are bigger now and have established root system.

Which one is next to my gravel drive way and surrounded by a concrete driveway on one side and a sidewalk m next a four foot deep, concrete blocked fish pond, and then our basement wall which butts up next to one side of the fish pond wall.

It is growing very well...too well as I didn't think I was buying a white clumping birch tree. I love it and knew that I could plant it as close as I did to the house which I would say is 8-10 feet away from the house foundation as I had studied birches around the city and saw how close they were planted to office and dental buildings.
    A lot closer than mine is.

It is sharing water with two large miniroses and some ground cover. It gets pond water occasionally when I drain the pond. But it also gets whatever water gets on the gravel driveway where it can permeate down into the soil and regular sprinkler watering.

Now I planted this tree next to the house to shade my front southern facing living room window to give some shade as it grew and some privacy. More shade than the latter.

So your moisture sounds fine, and Illinois has humidity where Boise doesn't.
    I would be concerned about the wires though, but not for a few years. Depending upon the type of wires. The trees do get a good canopy spread on them.
    I should post my mother in law's weeping birch tree that was planted in 1930. The house was built by my husband's grandfather who owned a dairy farm and processing plant. And yes, some of my children belong to the milkman. That is when we lived in eastern Idaho. Heehee.

It is one gorgeous tree!

Yes, I think I would move the tree, only because of the wires, but you could call in your power company to judge as they are the ones that come over to our neighborhood and cut the trees back from the power lines. But house is over 30 years old and the trees are the Silver Maple and Umbrella (Globe) Willow. Very tall and wide canopy.