cherry tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jeanne 3, Jul 8, 2006.

1. jeanne 3

jeanne 3 Member

Hi, my name is jeanne (pronounced jeannie)
    I need some help with my cherry tree. I live in NW Indiana near Chicago. I have lived in this house for 11 years and have a beautiful cherry tree. we have pruned it only a little but for most of the time we had a large amount of blossms and many cherries. Last year we started getting fewer and fewer cherries. Now the tree history. The bark has always been split near the where the limbs start to come off and I have seen bugs in there but since it always gave fruit I left it alone. I have had a lawn service spay it on occasion thoughout the years but nothing consistent. It is growning near the garage and as it got bigger it started to " get in the way" of the garage roof. My husband wants to chop it down but I'm not so sure. does any one have any suggestions.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not a citrus, of course. Anyway, sounds like it would be best to remove it and plant a replacement elsewhere. Check local climate suitability and pollination requirements when shopping for another cherry tree. State Extension office or web site may have information.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Jeanne, I think you will receive more assistance with your cherry tree inquiry if you would post your thread on the Fruit Tree Forum. Good Luck. - Millet

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to fruit tree forum)

5. jeanne 3

jeanne 3 Member

I guess your right. I don;t really know all I can do on this site
    Thanks,
    Jeanne