Redwood Tree - Turning Brown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Joanneh, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Joanneh

Joanneh New Member

Help! I live in the Pittsburg CA area - hot, dry summer microclimate. The redwood tree came with the home about 25 years ago. We have never had to water it. Over the past week, I noticed there are a lot of brown areas, yet there is new bushy green growth at the base of the tree.
    Should I soak it? How often? Or is this a disease? I see a lot of redwood trees around town also turning brown.
    Thanks!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Old leaves on the inside only? A percentage of these die and drop every year anyway. But otherwise it could be 100 year drought effects.

3. Joanneh

Joanneh New Member

Yes, old leaves -- many more are brown than I've seen in over 25 years.
    There is some new growth on the ends of the "old" branches. Plenty of new growth at the base of the tree.
    Should I soak the area around the tree?
    Thank you for replying.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing would suggest 100 year drought is taking a toll, so if you want to fight it you would start watering. And keep it up.

5. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Is "100 year drought" what they call letting the fracking industry waste 70 million gallons a year (not to mention contaminate it all) and the water bottling companies bottle it and sell it while restricting residents usage?
    No, I call it intentional corporate sabotage!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

While I may (or may not) agree with your sentiments, we do try to keep threads on topic on these forums. The original poster asked about a redwood tree turning brown--please respect their time by directly addressing the question at hand instead of pushing the conversation in another direction.