Eriogonum Umbellatum / Grande Rubescens

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by bijjy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bijjy

bijjy Active Member

Research tells me that these two Eriogonums thrive in sunny, dry coastal areas, and as such I believe that they would be very well suited to Vancouver's Sunshine Coast area. Others have said it would not do well there, but I remain convinced that these would thrive very well on a dry rocky cliff overlooking the ocean, in the zone 8-9 Sunshine Coast. Am I correct?

Also, where can they be purchased? (The closer to Vancouver, the better)

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Eriogonum umbellatum -- I think the issue is that it can't typically handle the winter wet. We have plants here at the garden, but these are in a covered glass habitat to prevent winter rains. There might be a variety or two that can handle winter rains, but I think you'd need to have locally-sourced seed -- see Eriogonum umbellatum for a list of many, many varieties (mostly east of the Cascades). I think it'd be worth a try in a dry, rocky cliffside garden.