Identification: Green to white Flowers - Alpine Meadow

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by JohnHarvey, Jun 30, 2015.

1. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Hey!

I'm at a loss with this one - it was growing in the meadows at Mount Washington on Vancouver Island last weekend. It was less than two feet tall and I believe the grass like leaves are the same plant as the flowers. The second image is a severe crop of the first - the flowers are perhaps 1 to 3mm across. Any idea?

Thanks!

John

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Check Sanguisorba canadensis (Sitka Burnet). I was up at Paradise Meadows a few days ago . . . couldn't believe how dry it was compared to previous visits!

3. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Looks correct to me! Thank you!

I notice the dry too. Walking down to the meadow we watched the insects in a few bowls of water but when we got to the stream it was just a long strip of mud. It's going to be a hard year up there.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    did you see any of the special VI Marmots up there? Hope it's not too hard on their reintroduction (almost exctinct)

5. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Short answer is no. When you turn the corner at the bottom of the new(er) lift, there are now road signs saying watch out for Marmots. I was there at 2 in the afternoon which I think is probably too hot for a Marmot - might have had more luck early in the morning or later in the afternoon.