Giving up on Red Raspberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Zandoli, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Zandoli

Zandoli Active Member

HI,
    In my garden at a previously owned house, I have a reapberry patch which is not doing well.
    I got lovely berries about a month ago, but the bushes seem to have several alments.
    Dying branches, and stems, small fruit, muldewy fruit etc.
    I would like to cut and dig them all out, but it would leave a big empty space in the garden.
    Would it be a good idea to put perennials in that space now. Would the soil be too "sick" to put plants in.
    Would it be ok to thin the patch drastically, but save healthy looking canes?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I am in Brampton, Ontario.
    Thanks!

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Don't give up! When the canes have finished fruiting they die off and new ones are usually already growing for next year's crop. I spent an hour yesterday cutting out the old and tieing up the new. If there is a mold growing it is usually a sign of too much moisture around the canes and a lack of good air flow.
    Good luck.
    Margaret

3. Zandoli

Zandoli Active Member

Thank you Margaret,
    This is what I've started to do. The patch was too bushy, so not enough air circulation. All the new shoots sprung up under the mass, and I could not see them.
    I'll know better next year.
    It looks like I should stake them early in spring, and keep them fairly thinned out.
    Is that right?
    Thanks again.
    Z.