How do I deter local kids?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Luke Harding, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Well, I had a very productive weekend last week. I have gone down the 'planting a wildlife friendly selection of plants that will also stop unwanted visitors' route. A combination of Pyracantha and Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) has been planted along the entire fence line. It will take a year or so to really fill out but it should do the trick. I have even left the name tags on as an educational aid for the kids. They WILL know what these plants are for future reference. Who knows, they may even take up an interest in plants as a result!?
    Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone. It has been a good source of entertainment and a real insight into the different opinions on children and private gardens. I actually work at the national Arboretum in the UK and we have literally thousands of children visiting every year. Its good to see them and hear them enthusing about the trees and plants and I love to see their reactions when you tell them something simple but fascinating. Its just a shame they aren't all little angels!
    If it was legal and /or socially acceptable I could tell the local kids all about where many drugs come from. I know they would have an interest in plants then...not that I grow them myself of course!!!!
    Again, thanks for all the responses, even the slightly dodgy/borderline illegal ones.
    Luke :)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good to warn people about the pyracantha. It is not common, but some people react very strongly to pricks from its thorns.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I had to take my two year old to the hospital for a severe reaction to Euporbias.

4. Survivor Kid 909

Survivor Kid 909 Active Member

Gooseberry bushes, if they will grow. Benificial for you as you get Goosberries, and plus they hurt like a bear when you get in them.

5. jg156

jg156 Member

a ginko tree has very smelly fruit.