Identification: What is this freaky, scary, ugly plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marlique, Apr 26, 2010.

1. marlique

marlique Active Member

Hello!

My friend bought a plant some years ago, and in the same pot was this small baby plant. It grew and grew and he repotted it successfully and it has since propagated many times. The way it propagates (or so it seems, this is what he has noticed but we may be mistaken) is that in the spring, one single new baby plant grows right next to the main plant. Right now two of his plants have such babies growing, one other of these plants doesn't have one but maybe that is because the plant is still young.

The plant looks like... well, frankly, when I look at it, it raises the hairs on my neck. Out of the soil, there is a dry, woody stick that just sticks out. This dry stick turns into something that looks kind of like a vertical cucumber, and this cucumber has some (maybe six?) vertical lines along its length that are covered in orange/red hairs. Out of this (ugly) cucumber jut out some red (rhubard red) stems that turn into long, deep green leaves.

It looks kind of like a prehistorical plant (and kind of like it could bite you in the face while you sleep). It both fascinates and repulses me, I'd really like to know what this plant is! If you have any idea, let me know. :)

I don't have a picture right now, but I may be able to obtain one if this description doesn't ring a bell.

Thank you so much!

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. marlique

marlique Active Member

Yessssss!!!!

This pic here is exactly it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/50977/

Wow, thank you so much for this quick and correct answer. :) Now I can find information on how to properly care for it. If you know any ressources, let me know!

Thanks again!

4. MamaSan

MamaSan Member

Who's a stud? ....Saltcedar!

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

"Who's a stud?"

Now that's something I've NEVER been mistaken for before. ;-)

6. MamaSan

MamaSan Member

First time for everything! You rock, a well deserved compliment.